Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show your custom built,hand built amps/cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VS, Jan 31, 2004.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'm interested. :smug: -Luke

2. I've posted this before but since you asked, here's a pic of the 2 x 12" sealed cab I built to use with my 1971 bassman head for practising. It's the same dimentions as the Fender Pro-Sonic extention cab - sounds great with a passive bass.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Very nice Bassmaniac! Did you have it made for you,or did you do it yourself? -Luke

4. I made it myself in my garage. I used to work in the speaker building industry at one stage, so the experience has come in handy. I made it from 17mm ( about 3/4" ) waterproof ply and used 2 x 100 watt P-Audio speakers wired in stereo so that my amp sees 4 ohms. Cost $300 Australian all up for parts and materials. It has a nice warm "compressed" sound to it which sounds great when playing Motown or classic rock. :)

5. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    You should start making and selling some!! :D -Luke

6. Here's mine. Armadillo Ampworks custom-made 2x15 combo with Altec Lansing 421A's and a 50 Watt Fender Bassman chassis.

Chris

[​IMG]

7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Sweet! :D

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I built these two cabs about a year ago out of some scrap wood I got from a cabinet maker. They don't get much use cause I use the heck out of my Avatar 4x10...but occasionally I drag them out for fun.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Let me guess - you bought them from Daniel at Cannon Sound in Brookvale? Top bloke! Great business he's got there.

That cab does look nice. Mine sound fine but look like garbage. I could sure use some industry experience, my woodwork skills need improving big time.

10. Hi Pete - yeah, Daniel seems to have the best deals in Sydney for bass and PA speakers. Especially when he's having one of his sales. He was selling the P-Audio HP12 woofers that I used in my cab for something like $46 AU each a while back. Thats pretty good for a well made, vented magnet speaker with an F of about 42 htz! They sound great IMO. Not to be compared to Eden or the likes, but for the price they rock! Anytime you need a hand with a cab give me a yell and I'll help out if I can. The hardest part of the whole job is in the vinyling of the cabinet. A very messy/tricky job indeed to get right. Fortunately I was able to effectively hide my mistakes :smug:

11. Here's my little practice/small jam cab I built about 5 years ago.

[​IMG]

It's really more of a hifi speaker and isn't real efficient, but is sounds really good. The speakers are Peerless, the cab is made from MDF. Goes down to about 40 Hz, so it works good for 5 strings as long as I'm not trying to compete with a full band.