Show your DINGWALL! (Bring your own Beano)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discgraham, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Hey all. I love Dingwall. I catch myself looking at them all the time, but I couldn't find any picture thread. Please do me and TB a favor and post your Dingwalls here!! Thanks a lot!

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Do a search,there are other threads about the Dingwall bass with pics.and here's a pic of my Voodoo 6.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY & mine...

4. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Hey! Why are all of those all slanted??? ;) ;) :D :D :cool:
  5. Somebody needs to speak to their quality control guy. That's just unacceptable.
  6. slanted... I never noticed that. I always thought those basses were photoshopped. And w/ devilman...gosh I din't know the undertaker from WWE played bass...awesome

If you want to see Dingwall basses, go to
    tons of photos and check out those 2 threads burningsky posted.
    Here are my contributions
    the SuperJ prototype and a Dingwall FRETLESS bass
  7. Wow this is great thanks guys!
  8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I like the sound of Dingwalls, but Im really worried that the fanned fret system will throw off all of the patterns that Im used to playing. Doesnt playing octaves become weird? Is it hard to switch on and off between fanned and parallel frets?
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

A. Not at all.

B. Not at all.

I spend a lot of time playing problems in the least. Tonight I played with a little experimental group I'm starting to work with and there are a few songs where I play chordally and had no problems either.

I have one Dingwall currently, and plan on giving up a substantial down-payment on another in the next week or two, but I also have four other boring-fretted basses and have no problem going between them, including an unlined fretless.
  10. Parallel frets are starting to look a little strange now. The fanned fret system just makes so much sense. Just from a technique standpoint, the direction of the frets really compliments a natural wrist position. This would cut down on fatigue and allow for better technique. I can't wait to go fanned once and for all!
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes, they do make sense from a playability standpoint, but then, Sheldon's basses would have killer playability and action without the fanned frets. I'm constantly reminded by my bass that I'm not driving the family taurus wagon, I'm driving a super-responsive sportscar.

They also make a lot of sense from a design aspect. The increasing scale length across the fretboard means that the string tension is much more balanced across the board, which means the bass is tonally balanced too. Beyond that if the playability is much improved as you play quicker on the lower strings than you can on a bass with a single scale length. Increased play speed and precision of playing is well worth it!

I guess the real issue, though, is sound. People seem to get caught up in the look of the fanned frets, but don't open their ears. The Dingwall basses sound great. The pickups are extremely well designed with great highs and nice big, yet tight lows. The extended scale length means the low strings are very clean, clear and focused. And the basses are constructed with good quality tone woods and a progressive attitude about how the wood is utilized.
  12. lambo-
    I'll back up wha Burningsky stated.
    I guarentee it will take you longer to read this thread than to feel comfortable on a Dingwall bass. The slanted frets are purely a visual distraction, but your hands and fingers do NOT notice them. You can play everything on a dingwall bass that you can play on a regular bass w/ the same ease and feel.If your a heavy duty chord player then in the way upper register (15th fret up) you may have to look at your fingering, but the benefits of a Novax fretboard far out weigh the 5 mins of looking at your fingers.
    Also switching back and forth between basses in no problem, I played a 32" scale Fender urge and my 37" Afterburner fretless for 3 yrs switchin many times between songs in my bands set list. I have no problem.
    I would highly recommend you try one of Mr dingwall basses, becuase your fears willdisappear imediately, and you'll be struck by how even the string tenson and tone is
  13. Here's some more Dingwall action.

Attached Files:

14. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Nice Gong Geoff
  15. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Now I understand why people say its really not difficult! It makes a lot of sense that it would compliment the way your wrist bends, making playing more easy and comfortable. Thanks.

Now the question... To go for a Dingwall Afterburner I or a Roscoe LG-3000... or a Nordstrand NJ4 Deluxe?
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Do you expect anyone in this thread to give you any answer except one?
  17. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Aaah... I see how it is.
  18. Just to add a different point of view...

I have a AB2. Love the bass. I've been playing it allot lately. Great tone and very well constructed. I highly recommend them.

That said, for me the transition was not as simple as others have suggested. I'm sure it was for them, but it wasn't for me. I had no trouble "getting" the fanned frets, but it did require some work and new muscle memory. For me, sight reading was more challenging because the frets are simply in a different place. Also, chording above the 14th fret is not as easy as parallel fret systems - not hard necessarily, but is not seamless from my other basses.

Also, although the Dingwall has a great sound live, it is no more articulate than either my Sadowsky or Nordstrand. All of these basses sound great in a live situation (as do many others).

I love it and recommend it because it sounds and plays great, not because it is necessarily "better".
  19. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Do you recommend it over your Nordstrand? How do the tones compare? I thought that Dingwalls had a more compressed tone, is that true?