1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SHOW YOUR DISTRESSED FINISHES!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Nov 5, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I've seen Bobby playing this a couple of times - he's a nice guy and such an awesome player and that bass sounds great! :thumbsup: :bassist:

fullsizeoutput_22b.

2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Wow! that looks great!

Looks more worn that Paul McCartney's Höfner! how old is yours?

ICM likes this.
  3. ICM

ICM

Apr 29, 2013
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    It’s from 2013!

4. I had a red one that did that, I sold it here so someone owns it.

5. That was a somewhat common malady for a year or
    Me too, had a trans red one but wasn't near this...just "healthy" checking but no discoloration. Had a strat that looked more like this. The dark colors seemed to fare worse.

6. kracdown

kracdown Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2015
    My new (to me) Mustang Bass:

7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I want a Mustang! :bassist: That one is nicely aged/worn.

I recently posted about "perfect" basses... I just saw that my (was nearly perfect) '66 bodied re-fin has it's first couple of chips/dings. Don't know when or where it happened but I use this bass in my band Bond Girl so it gets regular rehearsal and gigging time. When I saw it I wasn't PO'd - I was actually happy! Now that it's on the road to be "road-worn" - I can "just play it" ... which is what I did anyway. :)

fullsizeoutput_1139.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Understood... I recently acquired a new, unmarked bass, and unlike all my beat up gear I'm super careful with it...
    I'm sure I will be, until... ;)

JIO likes this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    It's not if - but when... :) - and it's usually when it's getting some love. (being played!)

dukeorock and wraub like this.
  10. Stuff I found goofin around...on original P and a CS Jazz that I would probably do some swapping with Satan for, that is if I had anything useful to him that I didn't already owe. 43706343_10205038432677236_3011915450624770048_n. 43687235_10155854041860665_4157790352712925184_n.

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    That J is pretty awesome - even if the Ric-esk edges destroys Leo's "custom contour" body ergonomics. :)

12. Yes, it's cool and even if the binding makes it a bit Ric-like I bet it at least has an audible E string. ;)

JIO likes this.
  13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    FCS did a sweet limited edition (400) version of their 'Plus' line in 1991 (40th Anniversary) - 22 frets, smaller hs, ebony fb w/no dots, P/J, active, gold hw, Schaller/Fender high-mass fine-tune bridge & deluxe tuners, and slab maple-flamed top/ash P body. It would be a fine match for that sweet J in a collection.

5_Custom__96284.1427841924.1280.1280.

14. I did have this for a few years and never got to that level of distress, but would have also been a good companion to the Jazz. aeropeeSM (2).

StevieMac, Lowendtech and JIO like this.
  15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    yes - very nice :thumbsup:

16. Beat and battered war scared 69 EBO--FRETLESS--
    Hacked and hatchet-ed------resurrected from a CL score--for very little $$ --- and it sounds and plays friggin AMAZING
    EBO checking 1. EBO checking 2. EBO New.
    Dimarzzio neck and Schaller 80's era "P" pups from a Peavey Foudnation S

came with the "tattoo" -=-- I did little in "restoring" it-- the bridge and hacked "p" cuts where done when I got it (as was the fretless FB) --- it came with NO neck pup---and the hacked P.G.------original tuners--

it (honestly) looks like hell---

really I open the case and people look ----like HE ISNT GOING TO PLAY THAT IS HE!?!?!

then they hear it ---- and STFU --- ;)

17. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    ICM and BamaBird like this.
  18. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
  19. cool-- based on that its a 63-67...maybe the guy BOUGHT it in 69???.....Im (TMK) only the 3rd keeper of this relic...

Plake likes this.
  20. Plake likes this.