Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show your DIY Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rat, May 3, 2005.

1. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Looking into building my own, Like to see your handi work :) :help:

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Im gonna bump this to the top, I wanna see 'em too!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here are some.... :D

I built these when I was about 14 or 15 (many years ago).

I have pictures of real ones that I'll post tomorrow...

4. LOL!

This is my 1x8. Not the greatest picture, doesn't show the back and sides. Just the good stuff :)

[​IMG]

5. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Ok i have a few...
    I'll bite

Attached Files:

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

7. Funkengrooven

A couple more, the scoop cabinet is DIY but I did not do it.
    I bought it from a guy in Pittsburgh, Pa, He didn't build it either, but it is mos def home built by someone.
    The drawings for construction of the scoop can be found on
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/C34.htm
    Attempt this if you are a decent woodworker with PATIENCE

Attached Files:

8. Funkengrooven

You knew I would show for the same reason you showed up...Don't mess with me Viking..... :D
    Besides The 2x12 I have is going to be changed with a 110uF cap to remove below 250 Hz and also to isolate it from the amp to make the amp believe it is driving a 4 ohm load...

creative sorcery....Shazam!!!! :spit:

SO HAH !!!!

9. Thor

I bow to the wizard of CAPmeisters !

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Now the real ones...

First some EV designed TB style cabinets for 15 in. SROs (designed in the late '60s) and the more moden TL designs (TL606 for 1x15 and TL806 for 1x12)

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Now, cabinets with 10s

A 2x10 with tweeter and a pair of 1x10s with tweeters.

The 1x10s were essentially halves of SWR Goliath II Jrs...

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm currently building another TL-806, a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice's Snail IIs (for 1x15 EVM) and a case for my 32 channel mixer...

13. Thor

aRRRRGGGHH ..... droooooool .....

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The 15s are EV loaded, one with a whizzer. The 12s have an EV SRO in one (for guitar), and a Selenium coax in the other one, which is nice for EUB. My wife won't let me paint anything black, and I hate rat fur. ;)

[​IMG]

15. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I haven't started building my cab yet, because the stuff hasn't come yet, but It's just gonna have a 15'' 250 watt sub, 1'' 200 watt tweeter, and a 12'' 60 watt mid. I made the crossover, and I'm probably gonna have to make the circuit board too. It's going to be quite sexy ;) .

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Seeing you didn't specify what type of DIY cabs, here's a pic of my Home stereo, specifically the 2x10 Sub and the two satelite speakers in the corners. There are plans to make a centre speaker and two rears as well, but I haven't got around to it as yet.

I also built that TV stand. I seem to make more of an effort on the appearance of projects that will end up inside the house. The bass cabs and PA definitely sound better than they look, especially the early ones (pics to follow). I'll post what I've got anyway, and take photo's of the more recent stuff in due course.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Here's my 1x15" cab. Speaker is a JBL E-145 and the horn is a crappy Motorola thing which will soon be replaced with a Peerless 811647. Oh and the grill is now painted Black :)

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whoa here's an early one! 1x15 Bass Wedge with ATC speaker (English and Ancient), and the same motorola horn as in the JBL. I actually built a matching 2x10 to go with this, but I don't have a pic. This was from the days when we were so darn loud on stage, I used to have my Eden rig behind me, 2 wedges in front of me, and I still could barely hear myself. I don't miss those rediculous SPL levels that's for sure. This cab is now collecting dust. The 2x10 got canibalised to make 2 seperate 1x10 PA speakers.

19. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    very nice!! yer getting me motivated to build my own :)

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I presume you've done some reading up on the science side of it all?