1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

show your diy defrets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 14, 2007.

1. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    That reads best with a Cletus (the slack-jawed yokel) accent :)

Please, do yourself a favour - put some tape down beside your frets, no matter what you use to pull them.

2. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    Camera phone pics but I has happy about doing it instead of spending more money on buying another bass.

DSC00031.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp

haha, i never noticed! maybe im a closet red neck =(

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Straight.

I'm not sure about the tape thing...I didn't use any and had very little denting of the fingerboard and one tiny little chip (and tape wouldn't have prevented that).

5. normal nippers (the ones you get at Lowes (USA) or Bunnings (Australia)) have the tops of the jaws curved slightly

The problem with these is twofold: 1...the jaws don't make contact at the extreme edge so it is difficult to get right under the fret and onto the tang 2...the curve can actually press into your board and great small dents if you're not careful...

Stew mac sells fret pullers in which the top of the jaws are ground flat....this allows for the jaws to reach right under the fret and grab the tang as well as reducing tool contact with the board and causing denting in the fretboard.

You can easily modify a set of hardware-store-variety nippers to do the job....all it takes is a file (a bench vise would help tremendously, here, too) or you can put them to a grinder...even a dremel with a properly-shaped grind stone can be used to flatten that curve away until you get the jaws contacting at the extreme "top" (handles pointed down) edge of the the tool...

6. sr506, extraordinary bass, and i don't even know who owns it at present. i did this about a year ago, then sold it because i just don't have the hands for a 6er. :crying:

7. To think I was going to spend $100-$125 to get htis done professionally?!?!?!

Thanks to all you TBer's with your DIY defret pages I took the plunge and wow was it easy. I think I spent a total of 30min removign frets (came out really easy with lots of heat and an exacto knife) took another hour to fill the slots with a nice maple vaneer and then took maybe another 30 min to sand to perfection.

And voila, a defretted Fender MIM Jazz. . . while I was at it I added some schaller machine heads and a Badass 2 bridge. Way to put some life into my first ever bass.

(Still have to adjust the intonation but I was excited to post the pics)

All I have to do now is learn how to play the damn thing.

Attached Files:

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The tape is not to prevent chipping - it's there to stop the chips flying away so you can glue them back in. No offense to guys who've used filler in the slots, but the chips look terrible when they do.

9. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I think I saw Christian McBride on Jazz Central playing a 70s Jazz that had been defretted. Maple/pearl.

10. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    1972 el Degas Pbass . Pulled the frets out in '76

Attached Files:

11. Peavey Milestone III from a starter kit

Been jamming on folk tunes with my parents this summer, and the sound is perfect for it, almost indistinguishable from an upright bass. Just put a set of flatwounds on it and now it's even better!

Attached Files:

12. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    bump.

Been a couple months. Any new defrets?

13. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    RIMG0088.gif
    RIMG0087-1.gif

it's been altered a bit now: black pick-guard, redesigned the headstock (3+1 instead of 4 on one side) seymour duncan pick-up

things to do: change the electronics, 2 vol(1 per coil) serie/parallel switch, and keep the 2 tone, move the jack over to the side of the bass.

but it sounds awesome now and plays great!

14. [​IMG]

only pic i have of the defret, to show the action... here's the bass with frets:

[​IMG]

15. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    my hack job

P1030006.jpg

P1030012.jpg

P1030014.jpg

16. found a couple pics of my sr506 - currently owned by another tber. i did this myself, turned out great but i don't have the hands for a 6.

17. OH NO!!!! Not that one again!!!

18. I was the 3rd owner of the SR506 you defretted and I must say you did a superb job. I loved that bass and I miss it. I bought it for a project i was working on and I haven't needed it since then so I sold it to fund a mod on my Lakland. :bawl:I miss it!:bawl:

19. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    :D I'm proud that there is nothing else in the world that's like it. Plus it sounds even more like an upright now:D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021