Show your Elricks...........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dragonbass, Aug 1, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i dunno about anyone else but i been gassin for one of those josh paul signatures. :D

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    interesting to read everyones settings. Obviously it varies with wood / pups / strings. I have mine strung with DR High Beams, and I generally use the following setting:

Pickup blend: favoring neck pickup, 40% from center
    Bass: 50% boost from center
    Treble: 50% boost from center
    Mid: 10-20% cut from center

I've never ever boosted the treble anything more than 10% on a bass I've owned before. I've had this bass less than two months, I'm still getting used to the different tonal possibilities so this may well change.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I use nickel roundwounds on all of mine and the onboard EQs (if any) stay flat, So does my amp. TWo of mine are predominantly Ash, the other Mahogany with a Spruce top.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I've got a josh paul signature. designed by elrick. It plays great at a fraction of the cost! I'd love an real elrick....sucks being poor!!
    Oh well heres a picture anyway.
    Joe.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    [​IMG]

That is one of THE best playing, best sounding, and best looking basses ive seen in a loong time :D

6. I lioke the D'Addario Slowwounds with the taper core B on the Elricks. Nice feel and not too bright or harsh, great mids and lows. The B sounds as good as the E.

Aloha,

JOnathan

7. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I own the only P/J Elrick I've ever heard of:

[​IMG]

I also own Mike Zimmerman's old 6 stringer.

[​IMG]

The 6 string is up for trade for a 5 string.. Any of you 5 string owners wanna step up to 6? PM me.

8. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    That six still amazes me after 3 years of ownership. I'm trying to trade it because its a little heavy and I recently got back surgery. :bawl:

Whoever ends up with it will have an absolutely killer bass.

9. :eek: :eek:

boioioioioioioing!!!

:eek: :eek:

10. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX

Tumbao,
    Those are the most beautiful New Jazzes I have seen! I love how he used the ash -- and the walnut for that matter!

Do you still have them?

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love the newer e-volution body shape! It's just so smooth and balanced.

[​IMG]

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    e-volution 5

[​IMG]

13. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    I am now the new owner of Tumbaos previous Elrick SingleCut 5 buckeye burl over ash. Sorry I dont have a pic available, but I can assure you its as awesome as any I have seen. I have found that the Aguilar preamp OBP-3 is a little harsh and noisy in the treble end, so I have opted to run mine in passive mode using outboard preamps by Sadowsky and Fodera. Also, Fodera Diamond strings seem to bring out the mids and lows in a more musical way, plus they make strings that correctly fit a 35 in scale bass, which DOES make a difference in overall feel and tone. If I were ordering a new Elrick today, I would have one made like what I have, but with Passive Aero H serie humbuckers, and no internal preamp. Nice basses everyone!

14. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Same here on the Diamonds Tumbao, the compressed round/stainless steel, although, Im thinking of trying the nickel. I also use a tapered B string, with the rest of the strings normal. Tapered B strings sound more distinct to me, and with 35 in scale, a tapered B is right on the money for matching up tone for tone with the rest of your strings. As for the noise factor on Elricks. Some of you may not be experiencing the problems that I do, but I work in a music theater 7 days a week, doing two shows a day, and if you are playing in an environment using lights and lasers, and worst of all christmas tree lights during the holidays, then noise becomes a factor, especially under the scrutiny of wireless in ears. The thing is that under the same conditions, my Sadowsky never has any noise, period. I beleive this to be partly because of the star grounding technique he grounds the electronics with, and because of his relentless attempts to battle hum. I contacted Rob Elrick and he wasnt even aware of the star grounding technique. He does however run some sort of ground wire from each pot and ties it in with the grounds at the output jack, which is sort of the same thing, but it doesnt seem to produce the same results. It would be one thing if my bass had single coils, but it doesnt, it has humbuckers, and the noise occurs even when I have the pickups blended in the middle. I am going to probably send mine to Rob in January during my time off and have Passive Aero pickups put in and let him see if he can ground the entire instrument a little better.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm generally not that big a fan of Bart preamps, but I recently tried an obp-3 in my Elrick.

While the Aggy has, to my ears, a fatter and tighter bass boost I felt that overall the Bart was best suited for this bass.

I think it's mostly due to the bart having mid boost available round 250hz which gives me the sound I like more than the 400hz of the Aguilar.

And while we're here, another gratuitous shot of my Plat Dlx 5 :D
    [​IMG]

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Bump!

Most of the pictures are no longer in this thread since the TB upgrade, and the Elrick site is really lacking in pics, so I thought we could try again.

I own this one, which was Tumbaos and then theaterbass29s:

dsc01325.jpg

17. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    This one looks really nice Bryan!

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sure. here's mine again.
    Elrick Platinum Series Classic 5 Neck Through, Spalted Maple Burl Top & Back, Ash Body, Maple Neck w/Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard, Bartolini Soapbar Pickups & 3-Band EQ

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    one more

20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Don't own these anymore.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am pretty much an R bass guy right now, but both of these basses satisfied my requirements for a great bass. Looks, sound, playability, they were all there.