Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show your FBB Customs!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Well, there are alot of threads poping up about showing off your basses (Roscoe, Sadowsky, ect...) and with the threads about FBB's poping up i figured we should make a thread to show all of the FBB's that belong to the members of TB. With that said, lets see'em!!!

Here is my #43-01 which i absolutley love to death!
    Its got a Lacewood/Flamed maple "wave prototype" top with a butternut back, maple/jatoba/beech wood veneer 7 piece neck through, 34" scale Indian rosewood fingerboard, Butternut cap over the back of the neck on the body, Lacewood headstock veneer, Gotoh tuners, Bart J pups, and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. Matt builds a very serious bass for the money!

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    For my next instrument I plan on it having a lacewood top, so needless to say I dig your FBB Nick. Before I can do that though, I'll need to be patient until my FBB in progress shows up. Hopefully that will be very soon...I waited very quietly for months, but now that it is down to a couple weeks or even days I can't keep still about it! :meh:

4. Thanks man! I really dig the lacewood but the little white "flecks" are really really soft and tend to indent very easily but i love the way it looks when the light hits it just right. I really dig your bass with that bridge by Jack Read. That bridge adds TONS of elegance to Matt's basses, infact, when i get around to commisioning a fretless 4 with him i would love to get a nice rosewood or ebony bridge.

Oh yeah, here is a better pic of the top of mine since you like Lacewood so much :cool:

5. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Just sent Matt a downpayment for the Burlbass special he had listed on the site: four string with elm burr top, figured butternut body, five piece maple/canarywood neck, shedua board with black top markers, 3 band pre, two Bartolini P2 pups, black hardware, Atlas body shape, "Gumby" headstock shape (2+2). So mine will overall be made of lighter colored woods with the exception of the shedua or ovangkol board, which will darken over time, but the elm burr that my bass will be made from looks gorgeous. I guess burl is overall eye/swirl figure, and burr is some of that and some grain, more loosely and differently patterned. So how do you like the butternut? I've read it's similar but softer than walnut. I'll post pix of the bass when I receive it, but that won't be 'till summer, I guess. Project pix will go up as the bass proceeds on fbbcustom.com, of course. From all I've read, and FBB will be worth the wait.

6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    By the way, I'd like to offer a public thanks to Xush for emailing me and giving me his POV on FBBs. He has quite the FBB collection. May be he'll post some pix of his.

7. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I believe Matt has actually now added a wood/piezo bridge as a $250 upgrade in his price list. :cool:
    One thing that I've been meaning to ask you is why your sig says you're left-handed, but your FBB appears to be a right-handed instrument? :confused:

Yeah, he let me pick his brain a little over his FBB 8 string several months ago. :D

8. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    This is my personal favorite of his.
    I really like the Jive body style.

[​IMG]

Cliff

9. Well i am left handed but playing bass felt right (sorry 'bout the pun ;) ) when i played right handed. It was just easier than going lefty.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Meet "Il Duce" (a.k.a #1065-02):

[​IMG]

Spalted Maple top
    Swamp Ash Body
    5 piece neck-through (Wenge mains/Jatoba stringers)
    Macassar Ebony Fretboard
    Bartolini M56C pups
    Bartolini NTMB 9 volt pre
    ABM Bridge
    Gotoh tuners

My bass for LIFE!

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    in a few months, i will be able to attach a pic here.....

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    #030-00

Imagine it with silver hardware and Aero pups (visible poles). I hope to have Matt make me a seven string with a buckeye top, ebony fingerboard and Bart 3 band in player or bean shape in the near future.

14. This one isn't mine, but i love this things looks and simplicity!!

15. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Me too. I wish there were sound clips of that one somewhere. Did someone from TB get that one (1070?)

EDIT: Ooops....1070 belongs to Mojo-Man. :)

16. Nope, MOJO doesn't own that anymore, it is stil, as far as i know, in a Boston GC...on sale for a little bit higher than you could comission one new!

By the way Jason, whats the story behind "Il duce's" name?

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I was owner of #1070.
    This is a great bass, that plays and sounds fantastic.
    I got ride of it because 6-string is just not my thing.
    I would have Matt make me another bass in a heartbeat.
    He does great work at a good price.
    As far as I know, bass is still at Boston G.C.

18. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I got the name Il Duce from The Boondock Saints, my favorite movie. During a shootout in one scene, Il Duce arrives with 6 guns strapped under his coat. My FBB has six strings. :)

Hence the name for 1065 came about.

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Has someone played this one?
    [​IMG]
    If so, please post your comments (or PM if you perfer) regarding its playability, balance, weight, sound etc. as I am contemplating buying it. It is up for sale at thelowend.net on the used basses page.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That is awesome. Matt does good work. Actually, that reminds me of something!