1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

show your frankencabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldfclefer, Apr 1, 2006.

1. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I found an old set of sub cabs at a GC about a year ago. Each was a 1 x 18"
    Wanted them for p.a.
    I took them apart and they had vintage JBL K-151 drivers.
    I snagged one of them, found a NADY sub cab that was about the right size and swapped out the NADY driver for the JBL.
    [​IMG]
    I added some 2" casters and I have a frankencab JBL/NADY 18" cab that absolutely k!cks a$$.
    I'm not done though.
    I have an old Sound City 15" cab that will, in all likelyhood be the next home for the K-151.
    IM000522.
    So waddaya got?
    Anything to top this?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Dunno if this tops yours, but it at least runs in the same league :)

Gibson 800-2B... It was given to me by a drummer friend of mine who had had it sitting in his shed for years... Apparently, he was jamming with some folks when the bass player's amp fried... The guy gave up then and there, ditched his gear and bailed...

Fast forward to the present, (well, mid-January any way :D )... The cab was pretty much done in and covered with a combination of wet dust and mud, (I live in Oregon)... Speakers were shot, power amp fried, (it was a powered cabinet)... But hey, the grill cloth looks pristine! I gutted it, fabricated a sheet-metal cover for the hole left from removing the power-amp, and loaded it with 2 Eminence Kappa Pro 15LFA's to make one serious, pumpin' cab! Added casters to make it easier to move...

[​IMG]

-robert

3. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Yeow!!!!

Now THAT'S what I'm TALKIN' 'bout!

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Talk about vintage vibe!! The bass, the amp, the speaker, killer!! :eek:

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ha! Isn't it fun giving gear new life?

Thanks Akami! That's my roots/rock rig... The Dano's an '00 re-issue, but it cops the correct vibe! I'm currently re-assembling a '70 Hohner XB250 fretless bass... When I'm done I'll be sporting a '70 bass, '71 head and an early '70s cab, (Try as I might, I can't find a year for the cab :( )... Who knows... Maybe I'll be able to get some gig pix next weekend :D

-robert