Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show your Funk Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass555, May 24, 2005.

1. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    thank you mr levin

Attached Files:

2. dude... sorry for ignorance but how do you do to play with those sticks in your fingers?
    could you give me some sound samples of how that sounds like?

thank's a million
    Gabriel

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm trying to design them from drumsticks I have laying around from my drumming days. Could you take better detail pictures? I can't figure out how to effectively attach them to my fingers.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I remember reading a thread in misc. about some homemade funk fingers made with broken drumsticks and some elastic material glued on a small arc of the stick.

5. leather pants are required when operating funk fingers. It's a safety thing. But, where are your safety glasses?

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Here's a few of me playing gigs with the Funk Fingers... I used them on two songs in my last band, and they always generated lots of interest from people watching...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a couple clips:
    with a little overdrive and eq: Dancing on the Hill

Fairly clean: Abducted

7. I made a pair a while back - cut down the sticks, screwed in some velcro loops - thwaka, thwaka. :bassist:

I wasn't digging the wood on the strings sound, so I used a little rubber tool-handle dip on the tips. It "cooled off" the attack a bit, but looked pretty ridiculous - like I had giant red fingernails. :meh:

None of my stuff sounded as cool (and developed) as Mark's stuff, though.

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Well, the tool grip stuff is exactly what's on the "real" Funk Fingers - you just have to find a little less obnoxious color... or paint the whole "finger" red as to lessen the fingernail polish look... ;)

Thanks for the compliment - that band has since broken up (after 8+ years of recording and gigging) but I've got a new tune in the works with my new project that uses the fingers. Curiously enough, the section that the FF's are in sounds very "Floyd-ish".

9. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Those are really awesome. Tony uses them in the Rising Low video.