Show your Funk Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass555, May 24, 2005.

1. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    thank you mr levin

Attached Files:

2. dude... sorry for ignorance but how do you do to play with those sticks in your fingers?
    could you give me some sound samples of how that sounds like?

thank's a million
    Gabriel

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm trying to design them from drumsticks I have laying around from my drumming days. Could you take better detail pictures? I can't figure out how to effectively attach them to my fingers.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I remember reading a thread in misc. about some homemade funk fingers made with broken drumsticks and some elastic material glued on a small arc of the stick.

5. leather pants are required when operating funk fingers. It's a safety thing. But, where are your safety glasses?

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Here's a few of me playing gigs with the Funk Fingers... I used them on two songs in my last band, and they always generated lots of interest from people watching...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a couple clips:
    with a little overdrive and eq: Dancing on the Hill

Fairly clean: Abducted

7. I made a pair a while back - cut down the sticks, screwed in some velcro loops - thwaka, thwaka. :bassist:

I wasn't digging the wood on the strings sound, so I used a little rubber tool-handle dip on the tips. It "cooled off" the attack a bit, but looked pretty ridiculous - like I had giant red fingernails. :meh:

None of my stuff sounded as cool (and developed) as Mark's stuff, though.

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Well, the tool grip stuff is exactly what's on the "real" Funk Fingers - you just have to find a little less obnoxious color... or paint the whole "finger" red as to lessen the fingernail polish look... ;)

Thanks for the compliment - that band has since broken up (after 8+ years of recording and gigging) but I've got a new tune in the works with my new project that uses the fingers. Curiously enough, the section that the FF's are in sounds very "Floyd-ish".

9. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Those are really awesome. Tony uses them in the Rising Low video.