Show your kubicki's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyle, Feb 17, 2004.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    hey i just bought a custom ex factor, Genuine flamed Honduras Mahogany veneer on an Alder body, 2 stripes of flamed maple running through it and an ebony center as well as fingerboard. i get it in mid march cant wait. for me these are the best basses on earth ive played severel and there great. so show um of guys.

heres soon to be mine, wowow :D
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Very nice.

I can't seem to get my camera to interface at the moment, so I can't post a pic of my recently aquired red/black reverse sunburst X factor (but I will when I can).

Luvverly basses. Enjoy yours!
  3. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I had the great pleasure to visit Phil's shop in Santa Barbara a couple years back. I was dropping off my ExFactor for refurbishing, and Phil was kind enough to give me a tour of his entire shop as well as disassemble my bass and completey go over it with me. An amazing guy that Phil! I got to check out the bass you bought - that flamed mahogany is STUNNING (I was very tempted), I'm sure you will be blown away with it.

Here is mine ("Tweety"):
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to have a Seafoam Green and a White Ex-Factor, both pre-Fender. I have a photo somewhere in a box with both side by side. If I can find it, I'll scan and post it . . .

Nice basses. Really miss mine.
  5. That Honduras mahogany looks sweet! I've had three Kubickis as follows:

Powder blue X-Factor (pre-Fender I believe). Lightweight and great sounding.

Factor (34" scale, no drop-D). Fender era. Very cool midnight blue sparkle.

X-Factor fretless in piano black

I let them all go a while back, but sometimes wish that I had kept the powder blue one.
  6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have 2 '90 X-Factors, one (charcoal metallic) made with pre Custom Shop parts (no neck stamp) and full Kubicki electronics that Phil refurbished, and one (red) with the stamp, Kubicki pickups and a Fender preamp. I have them both strung with flats. The Fender pre isn't like Phil's by any means re versatility, but I must say they both sound great!!!! I really enjoy playing them - the used ones from the 90's are a great value IMO.

Enjoy your new beauty lyle!!!!
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Here is mine, a 1990 Fender Custom Shop.
    I really like the Flamed Honduras Mahogany.
    I would really like to pick up one of new Kubicki Basses, they are sweet.
  8. AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    Here's my #222 (1986) that has been a little customized <evil grin>
    Flame maple top to accomodate Sadowsky J's and Sadowsky pre-amp.
    Meanest mid-growl around, and still my favorite neck in the world...
  9. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    :p thanks for the complements and ya i love there necks too, so fast. but oddio ive always wanted to play a fretless kubicki, yours is nice, how are they compared to other fretlesses

-lyle :bassist:
  10. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I'm photo iliterate, but I've played an X-Factor pretty much exclusivly for sixteen years. She was recently defretted, and they make for an amazing fretless.
    If and when I go custom, it will have an X-Factor neck (can you say Adler SC).
    PEACE!!!!!!, Johno!
  11. The Kubicki fretless was very nice... lots of "mwahh" but I could not connect with it the way I did with the fretted basses. My fingers are a little longer than average and it turned out that the 32" scale just didn't work for me on a fretless bass (I play a 34" fretless fiver exclusively now).

It would be a wonderful bass if the scale is right for you.

12. BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I have a Kubicki story (kind of)...

Was seeing Penn & Teller in Las Vegas a few years ago, and in the show there was a segment where Teller plays the piano and Penn played his X-Factor. During the performance the Kubicki came unplugged from the wireless unit on Penn's strap, and he had a devil of a time plugging it in.

After the show was over, P&T greeted folks at the back of the theater. I decided I would make a smart-ass comment (to make an impression) on my way out. Penn was innundated with people talking to him as I passed, so I piped up "pretty hard to get that X-Factor plugged in with the spotlights on, eh Penn?" He looked right at me, smiled and said "oh, shut up! It was only because my good freind Will Lee is here!" I looked and standing next to me was indeed Will Lee! Sheesh!
  13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have a low mileage red Ex Factor #742 04 88.

I say low mileage becuase I bought in new in 88 while in college for music. Stopped playing a few years after that and only picked it up again recently. Practically mint condition.

My dilemma now is that I want to get a 5 string. Anyone have or tried the Kubicki 5. Its either that or a Marcus Miller 5.

Would appreciate any feedback.
  14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    the only 5 right now is the key, which im not to found of but i saw a pic at the yahoo kubicki group of a custom 5 string ex fatcor prototype along sid eof the soon to be mine custom and another. he says its to expensive to mass produce but i bet in the near future youll see um out. look whicked cool :D
  15. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

I live in S.B. and visit Phil fairly often, and I can say w/some confidence, we will never see a Factor 5.
    I've begged!
    I've pleaded!
    Won't happen! :crying:
    An Ex-Factor 5 w /a high C used to be my dream bass. Till I realized 4 strings was enough!
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno!
  16. a kubicki thread without my posting? HERACY :D ..there is 1 factor 5 in existence..also check out the sweet pamalina
    my baby 1516 06 89..and i think ive already bragged enough that it was stu hamms :D
  17. That's a really nice shape. :)
  18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I love the post, but it SAMRTS. I've been trying to score a Kubicki for a while now, preferably a fretless. I blew some reall good chances years ago. Ouch.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Great pics. Carry on.
  19. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Heath, I got to play that bass in the shop. Wanted it REALLY BAD! He wouldn't sell it. :crying:
  20. which one? the pamelina or the factor 5?

the next kubicki i get im gonna get pamelina to do a custom finish on it for me, one with my inspirations on it, stu, jaco and hendrix...i was thinking of getting an alembic mark king but i thought, hey, for that price i can buy about 3 seccond hand kubickis :D