Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show Your Little Known Luthier Made Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fealach, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    My first attempt at starting a real thread. Here goes.

Here's a thread for those of us who never get to jump on all those "Show Your (insert well known bass maker name here)" threads. I hope I'm not the only one with a great bass nobody else has heard of. Lets see some pics, and hear a bit about them! Every well known luthier was little known once....or else, let this little wanna be thread slide into obscurity.

Here are my Ristolas. Brian Ristola makes them in New Hampshire. I get to wander around Boston maybe once a year. Last year, I wandered into Rock City Guitars in Somerville MA. I had no need of another bass, but I like to look around. Then I saw this fretless, and I had to play it, then after playing it I had to take it home, and explain to my Warwick fretless that it was going to have to find a new home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a better pic at www.rockcityguitar.com. I cannot say enough good things about this bass. Bartolini p/u's and electronics, selectable mid frequency, fret lines (a crutch yes, but you wouldn't want to hear me off my crutches) that are barely visible from a few feet away (or on camera). There are a lot of laminates in here, I can't imagine the work that went into it. Sweet Jazzish neck.

So this year, I'm back in the area, so I stop in again. This time, I was thinking I'd like to get a feel for a few nice 5 strings. I'd recently sold my Tobias, and wondered if I'd ever be able to find a 5 I liked that much again, sometime off in the future when I could afford it. Then I saw this one, and you can guess the rest. Bart p/u's again, but an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. Awesome combination. Buries my Tobias. I tested it for a bit, then tried a Sadowsky. Just didn't do it for me. The Tyler 5 next sounded very good, but I didn't dig the looks and the neck didn't play as nice. Course all that's relative, a different bass will suit different hands and ears better than mine. I forgot the bit about not being able to afford it. Now I have to remember how to pay for it when the credit card bill comes. Not that they're expensive for this quality of instrument, but when you're selling things to pay off your bills anything's expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking I might get a custom built, but this 5 felt and sounded so perfect that I wouldn't dare change anything. I could go on, but these basses are perfect for me. Stop by Rock City if you're in the area and check one out.

So... anyone else found a bass that's the cat's pajamas, that draws compliments and "What is that, anyway?"

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's my Hill Customs HN-B6 Elite fretless. I've yet to meet anyone outside of Cleveland who owns one, although I know they're out there (the guy from Slayer used to play an older model).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics here:
    http://www.bryanrtyler.web.aplus.net/music/gear.html

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Here is my new bass. It isn't finished yet, but I figured what the heck. Might as well post what photos I have while I wait.
    It is being made by Norwegian luthier Odd Helge Listerud. I don't know how well known he is outside of Norway, but he's been building basses for ten years now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will of course give more details when I have it in my greedy hands! It should be with me in about a month now. :hyper:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Wow! I like that!

my basses are built by Chris Benavente... he's well known here online @ TB and other forums, but in real life I get a blank stare and the comment "It's a What?"

so....

[​IMG]

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Some nice stuff so far. Especially dig the colors of the Hill's fret lines. And I usually run and hide when confrontd by something with more than 5 strings, but that there one's pretty neat. Like the web site too, the behind the scenes pics are cool, like this one:
    [​IMG]

All the basses is checked for failures

That extra level of detail really sets a luthier made bass apart from mass produced models. I'm sure Fender QC doesn't give
    their instruments CAT scans!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, in real life no bass luthiers are well-known except possibly Fodera or Sadowsky. I think he means by luthiers rarely seen or heard of on TalkBass.

7. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Here's mine: Danish built Morch-basses!

8. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Here is a better pic with me & my bass-guitar :bassist:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    He also makes singlecuts...

[​IMG]

10. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Very charming basses there :)

11. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    GIM 6 String Singlecut

[​IMG]

12. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Yeah, Im absolutely in love with Morch's instruments!.. I only live about an hour and a half drive from his shop! And we are good friends.
    Btw here's his website

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm sure most of you have already seen pix of my Marchlewski, as well as Wolfehollow's Marchlewski that inspired mine. Jacob does such a wonderful job that I figure it's worth posting again for anyone who may have missed the first go 'round......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marchlewski's website

Peace,

James

14. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    What is that? It looks like a Modulus Quantum but not quite :p

15. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    These are just lovely basses (especially that Norwegian made, how much did it cost?)! I can't wait to get my 7 string custom by a little known luthier (I'll get it around christmas...)! :meh: :hyper:

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sentinel Widowmaker 5XL

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Here are a couple of basses from DHuff and Browne...

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...and a couple shots from an Eshenbaugh Brado 5 that was at summer NAMM a few months ago. ;)

19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    where did that pic come from? its so cute!