Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SHOW YOUR LULL!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Jun 29, 2005.

1. I have searched the threads, and nobody has done one of these yet. I am seriously considering getting a Lull, and would like to see some more fine examples. I played one side-by-side with a Metro, and there was no comparison. The Lull blew it away!

This is the one that is at my local shop:
    [​IMG]

2. That's interesting, becuase when I played a metro next to a Lull, the metro wasn't even close. Different strokes for different folks.

I haven't been in to play the Lull at Midwest yet, but I am going Friday. Rusty said he also had a nice Warrior 4 string (I'm a 4 string guy), did you play that one?

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd agree more with the latter than the former, but to my fingers and ears a Lull has a bit more inherent "personality" than a Sadowsky, IMO - it's more of a "rock" Jazz than a Sadowsky, which is both a positive and a negative depending on how you look at it.

Myself, however? After getting the chance spend some quality time with Bryan Beller's Modern 5 (who also uses the same strings and close to the same rig as myself) a M5 fretted and fretless are now at the top of the list of "Top of the line keeper basses" (I'm not the type to buy/sell/buy/sell - I'll research for years before committing.) They're that close to what I'm looking for in an instrument in that price range: slightly tighter than average string spacing, immaculate construction and fretwork, wood and electronic options, etc. Plus his "Fire" and "Transparent Teal" finishes simply have me drooling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice basses! :D

5. Sadowsky vs. Lull vs. Celinder vs. other 'high end J Basses'.... it's hard to compare these, since you might be playing different models within and across the brands.

A 70's style (pickup placement, etc.), full body, heavy J-Type Bass like the Celinder Update 5 and Sadowsky Ultra Vintage Metro is going to sound, play and feel totally different than a more 60's style instrument like the Sadowsky Vintage line with a small, very light body and 60's pickup placement, etc.

A lot of times, it seems when people compare brands they are not taking this into account, and are probably hearing the 60's vs. 70's style differences more than differences across brands or luthiers.

No big deal, but something to think about when reading the TB comparisons, etc.

6. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    FIRE!!! :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    THAT I like. Great color! :hyper:

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That is very alive! :bassist:

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That picture looks familiar. :)

Here's another picture I took before I sold it:

[​IMG]

It was a very beautiful bass, but the tone just wasn't my thing. :(

10. Great looking maple tops!

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oh, and here's a picture of another Lull that I always thought looked cool.

[​IMG]

12. Why does it remind me of a 70's English :D teacher in a tweed suit with leather elbow patches.

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I love that blue one. I was sooo mad when it was up for sale and I was pennyless :crying: .
    That fire color is gorgeous as well. Now about those headstocks... :ninja:

14. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Awesome bass, super lightweight with a Jazz-width neck.

[​IMG]

15. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I like that one too. Gold rocks! :D This one turned a lot of heads as well...

16. Tone aside, the neck on the Lull was way nicer (for me) and the construction was a step above the Sadowsky. Both were ash bodies with maple boards, and the tone on the Sadowky sounded thin and hollow compared to the Lull. I was playing them through an EA so there would be no color added to the tone.

17. I'm telling you, I've played thousands of basses. The Metro was nowhere near the top. The one I played was at Bass Central in Orlando. Grasshopper and Gard both agreed with me when I made the comment that the Lull blew the Metro out of the water. It was the first time I had ever played either brand, so I had no baggage with my decision. I was actually looking very forward to playing the Metro after all the hype I had heard. My Trace-Elliot T-Bass is 3 times the bass as the Metro. I know this is why Basso Gruvitas subscribed, and I hate to give him what he wants, but I am just telling you, as somebody who has played for 16 years now, owned and played countless high-end instruments, and knows what to look for in a bass, these are my findings so far.

I'm glad you have a cheapie that is great. I've got a 1979 Ibanez Roadster with EMG's that is fantastic. I know it's possible.

Besides, are we supposed to believe a guy who calls himself "Beef" and lists his biggest musical influences as Jaegermeister and Weed?? :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I know what you're saying but.....there are currently two Metros at BassNW. I had a good sit with both. One of them I'd sell my car for. The other was decidedly ho-hum.

(I'm not saying which, cuz I'm still deciding whether I can stand biking to work!)

As with anything....results vary.

19. jazz567

jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    No photo, but mine is a M5V in 2-tone sunburst, maple board, mint p/g. yummy