1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show your modded SX basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 21, 2006.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Hey folks,

I want see pics of your modded SX basses!

2. Dude, you are writing so many posts and threads about SXs recently, you need to just fork over some dough and buy one. I just received my SX 5-string J (in black) today and it is great. Go buy one, they are not that much. :bassist:

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I know, I know! :rollno:

The debate I'm having is whether to sell my Ibanez or not. I can't afford to buy an SX right now, and I don't see myself being able to anytime soon. I like the way the Ibanez plays and sounds, but it just isn't "my" bass. I like tinkering with things and doing wiring, etc. I like working with my hands. I probably will sell and buy a couple of SX's to mod, but I'm just interested to see what others have done.

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Why don't you start by customizing your Ibby? Different pups, different bridge, different tuners, put in a series switch or something...it can be done! SX's are great platforms for customizing, but if you're a tinkerer, tinker on the Ibby, too! Make it your own! Just a thought...:)

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey want to sell me that BTB ive been wanting to buy a five string actually? How much? ( In Canadian dollars offcourse)

6. There's a great thread started by Jive and the wonderful things he did to two of his SX's. That by far is the most elaborate modding I've ever seen on an SX. Find that thread. No one else-- I remember -- has taken it that far. And don't sell your Ibanez yet. What happens if you ned up not liking the SX?

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If you're unsatisfied with the Ibanez, then I say sell it and buy one SX at a time. Mod that one until you're satisfied, and then see if you still want the second SX.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thank you for saying this!!!! Really how many more question can a person ask?!!!

$100-$130 isnt much. Sell some blood or get an extra job. You spend all that energy asking and starting threads when you could work a couple odd jobs and have it by now.

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    4SB just wants to be as sure as he can be before he makes his purchase. I don't blame him at all for making these threads. It's good resource material for anyone interested in SX basses.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If you don't want to read them you can always read something else, right? :meh:

Thanks, El Bajista, for your comments. I do just want to be sure, and this is only because I've made so many mistakes in trades. I went with the Ibanez knowing that it would have a lower resale value than the Lakland I could have had. Now I'm wanting to go back to 4-string, but I don't want to make any more mistakes.

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    I don't think I've got any decent pix of them, my SX SR5 has a a complete Duncan Basslines system installed in it (pickup, 3 band eq).

My SX Jazz 5 is now a special as a removed and rerouted for a MM pickup at the bridge (just installed Bartolini J and MM).

Neither of these basses required these mods - sounded fine out of the box. I'm just pretty specific in what I'm looking for.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well lets see. There is a megathread for SX basses so why start a new one. Every thread that is out there that is active we end up with the same questions. I can see starting a new one if it is something specific that doesnt fit. But IMHO these could all be part of the mega thread.

So here we are with a mail order bass. You can ask all the questions in the world and you wont know if it is worth it or if you like it till you try it. Heck you wont even know if you got a lemon till you try it.

He wants to know if he should get one, he wants to know if they are decent, he wants to know what they look like.

I share his enthusiasm. I have had GAS as bad as anyone. But it can make housekeeping abit more work for the Mods. Besides I am starting to feel pity for his bad case of GAS.

13. So ,no modded SX basses?

14. We're answering your questions but you're not listening to us. We own these basses; I pointed out a great thread for you to read about modding. Did you read it? The Megathread really goes into everything you want to know. There are no new answers. You're going to have to trust the collective wisdom of Talk Bass but as others have said, you can always send it back if you don't like it. I think it's about the least expensive bass out there.
    I'm trying to help you but this is it. I can do no more.

Good luck in whatever you decide.:)

15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    OK.