Show your scratches, chips, etc.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Jan 2, 2006.

1. i did a search couldnt find anything like this.

its depressing but couldn be interesting.

heres the two chips on my ric :(

and heres one of the many on my old ibanez.

there not too bad but there still there
    i have none on my stingray yet (knock on wood) but hey scratches just give a bass character.
  2. Am I the only one who finds scratches on my bass several days after they happen? I've never bumped my bass and immediately seen a scratch on it, I usually just notice them randomly whilst playing.
  3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    same here. I rmemeber bumping my guitar once thoroughly inspecting it and nothing, the next day- BAM!
  4. same actually

i'll could honestly drop my ric of a building and wouldnt find a scartch after hours of looking and then be playing and notice the neck was broken off from the 15th fret up hahaha.
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I remember when someone threw me a cable from across the room and smacked head on into bass, but no damage. Now I'm finding a few dings around the edges, but boy these luthite bodies are tough! The only real chippage I've been seeing is around the truss-rod access hole. My allen wrench never quite makes it in there properly, and turning it often chips some of the wood away. Looks freakin terrible, especially considering I can't find the screw for the cover. Thinking of going all velcro, similar to the way Dingwall attaches their route covers.
  6. My poor Pedulla, for ten years plus this was my main bass. My thumb wore right through the finish and put an indent in the wood. :bawl:
  7. !
  8. zazz

Feb 27, 2004

dude ..thats nothing to worry about...the call it mojo!!
  9. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    My no. 1 bass's body is walnut so every scratch and dent is visible. I get a heart-attack every time something happens to it. A while ago the rhytmgp decided to play my bass while I was out having a smoke. He had pretty long fingernails so when I came back in, picked it up and saw the scratchmarks between the first and second pup I freaked out.

I've put see-through plastic don't-know-the-english-word-for-it stuff above and alongside the neck pup to avoid that kind of sh*t.

That upset me. Bad. The nicest thing I called him rhymes with trucking tanker.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This EB Sabre that I bought new in the late 80's was my #1 bass until I switched to 5-string in Y2K.

11. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    This EDA was in pretty bad shape when i got it.... I think what happened was the indicator decals that come with the bass somehow became stuck to the body of the bass. There's a product called "goo- be-gone" that would have taken the sticker off no prob BUT...Somebody clearly got hack happy and tried to scrape it off with a knife or the like. Huge gashes and scrapes in the body. The bass was practically new except for this, and had been sitting at the GC for a long time. I finally talked a sales guy down to less than 2 bills, did a lil fill n' sand work got some auto primer and the closest matching auto paint i could find and fixed it the best i could...and you can still see the scar of the repair unfortunately. srry about the cheesy webcam pics.

p.s. This is one of my favorite basses to play now.
  12. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    O man. It still hurts. In band rehersal, we wanted to grab a soda to drink. The only stand left was a three way stand that already had an acoustic guitar and a resonator on it. Well I put my Warwick that I had bought two months prior on the stand. There was a chord under the stand. The lead guitarist who is also my best friend, trips over the chord, sending the stand over. I saved the resonator, but the bass hit. It only left a small dent in the headstock and the neck on the fifth fret. The poor guy felt horrible, but like mentioned before, it gives the bass charactor and a story.

13. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Is it an optical illusion or are those strings sitting on the pickups????
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Might as well post this picture here. It's just playing wear on the neck of my Sadowsky:

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I may try to take a picture of it for this thread, but I actually managed to put two small dents (more like chips taken out) in the back of the neck on my all-but-indestructable all-graphite Steinberger XL-2 many years ago. It darn near made me cry. Aside from that, I've had that bass for nearly 20 years, and it's almost like new.

Of course, my mom managed to somehow crack the diamond in her engagement ring. She's one tough lady, Let me tell you. :D

PinkTelephone, I bought my jetglo Ric 4003 used back in 1987, and when I bought it, the buckle rash on the back of it was so bad that it's got a spot of bare wood some five inches in diameter. If it makes you feel better, your Ric is mint in comparison. :p Still plays, great, though!

FWIW, no bass is immune to being banged up, but it still hurts when it happens.
  16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I always keep my basses wrapped in gauze when I am not using them, so they never get scratched. For extra scratch protection I am also naked when I play them. I get a very ballsy tone.
  17. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That was wrong, very very wrong.