Show your small vintage tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Brouillette, Nov 12, 2019.

1. DBA7647C-4DB7-49DE-8401-A1FD7B70669B.jpeg I recently purchased a Alamo Fury tube bass amp and after a trip to my tech I’ve come away with a sweet sounding amp for practice/jamming/recording. There’s just something about firing tubes that I find inspiring. I’d like to see pics and discuss other oddball tube amps.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Fuzzonaut, lowplaces, JimmyM and 6 others like this.
  2. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I have one of those, is there really a fuse in there, my fuse cap was glued on. That has a solid state preamp in it. Yours is in better shape than mine, I also have a 1959 Ampeg Bassamp, I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. The Ampeg sounds killer.

David Brouillette likes this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_amprosmall_zpse614999c.png

20 watt projector amp. As made, it was in the top speaker cab. I made the head box from a 3rd cab. 12ax7, 2-6v6gt, and a rectifier tube.

4. bobyoung53

Nice!

5. Mine has a solid state preamp too and there is a fuse.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. bobyoung53

Someone must have taken the fuse apparatus out and glued the cap on mine:laugh:.

7. Can you tell us a little more about it? Output tubes? Driver brand and size? Sealed, ported or open back?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I have one of those too! The grill cloth on mine is gone. I covered the speaker with one of those bug-eyed plastic covers. Speaker replaced with an 15" Eminence BigBen 200w guitar speaker before I got it. Non-ported.

Okay for bass at low volume. I picked up a Broughton HPF and it works much better. I added casters, much easier to get around. I bolted them from the inside. I also screwed in a couple of door stops in the back right side so I can wrap the power cord around it for travelling purposes.

It's heavy as heck. The cab looks like 1/2" mdf or something. Vibrates like craze. Vibrates pretty good. Prolly could use some supports but the speaker takes up the whole inside of the cab. I sees some Furys have 12s.

"It was made by Alamo Electronics Corp of San Antonio, TX from about 1965 to the early 1970's. Alamo went defunct many years ago, but just like Chicago's Valco and Sound Projects Co., their amps can still be found in odd places. I picked this one up at my local music store, and traded one of my other amps in for it.

It has an output somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 to 30 watts, a 15" alnico speaker which looks to be a CTS make, simple volume, bass, and treble controls, and a convenient two prong electrical outlet on the back for any effects devices one might have wanted to use back in the day.

Half of the preamp and the full rectifier are solid state, but the other half of the preamp is a 12AX7,which drives the 7868 power tubes in a push-pull. The 7868 is one of those oddball tubes that's only made by ElectroHarmonix anymore, but some NOS specimens are still out there for a price.

The Fury was actually designed to be an amp for both electric guitar OR bass guitar, somewhat similar to the Fender Bassman. I've read that a lot of them actually had three input jacks, two for guitar and one for bass, but mine only has two jacks. In any case, I don't use the amp for either. I play my harmonica through it, and boy does it become an absolute tone howitzer! She's very heavy for her size, but her tone makes up for that."

From:Alamo 2566 "Fury" amplifier | Collectors Weekly (fair use)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    bobyoung53 and David Brouillette like this.
  9. It has a solid state preamp that feeds a tube power section with a 12ax7 phase inverter, two 7868 power tubes, and a 5U4GB rectifier. I haven’t taken the back off yet but I think the 15 inch speaker is an Eminence in sealed cabinet. I can’t feel any ports thru the grill. I’ll have to check that out soon. A86A7A5E-57B6-43A1-B0B3-7943DAAEAF83.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    JimmyM, AstroSonic and Stumbo like this.
  10. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    Most certainly. I guess some people out there might have become "solid-state snobs". :smug:

11. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I don't have a cool vintage bass amp but I do love my 1968 Ampeg Reverbojet J-12R. It makes my American Original 50's Tele sound like I should audition for the Stones. IMG_4115.jpeg

Attached Files:

Luther, lowplaces, Raw N Low and 4 others like this.
  12. WhyIsPBassBest

WhyIsPBassBest

Nov 8, 2019
    BC
    There’s a “Garnet Rebel II” currently for sale on my local classifieds. Looks to be from the 70’s? I think it’s all tube, or at least tube power amp.
    Garnet apparently made amps in Canada back then, they were like a smaller Yorkville/Traynor.

Seems very interesting. Unfortunately I can’t buy it since I don’t need it at all but it looks cool.

Attached Files:

JimmyM and David Brouillette like this.
  13. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    catskills
    1573663090985.jpg
    based on the date code on the speaker, this is a 1955 sano model 20w (haven't found much info on it as the closest is a 20wr. this does not have reverb)
    have this opened because there's a buzz when the trem is on. just haven't had time to diagnose it
    traded an acoustic 370 i bought mangled and bright back to life along with a hartke 4x10 (that i simply could not get rid of) for it
    all sorts of weird/interesting inputs. definitely the inspiration for the fender pawnshop excelsior

Attached Files:

14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    this was my first.... way to many years ago, can't remember. But back in 1964 it cooked. And another Alamo. Damn those folks in San Antonio were kicking way back when. I was a kid trying to play bass to "A Hard Days Night". The world is a real changed place now.
    Alamo Amp.png

15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Buddy of mine had an Alamo Fury (I still have the cab badge somewhere). Decent amp. Mine had a solid state power section, though - just one tube, the preamp.

Sealed back and it sounded quite nice, just wasn't loud enough.

16. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I only have one...'61 Ampeg...original speaker still in the cab. Sounds awesome.

Ampeg B15 in studio copy.jpeg

Rick_Bass, Fuzzonaut, Bent77 and 11 others like this.
  17. T-boneParish

T-boneParish Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin
    I use this vintage record player as an amp. The Mic input can be used clean at low volume for guitar and bass. If I crank the Mic preamp and plug in a guitar, I get the exact same tone as John Lennon's guitar in the opening bars of Revolution. The single 15 cab is not great, so I just run a line out for recording. I love it.

Attached Files:

18. This old thing:
    IMG_3871.JPG
    My dad's old Ampeg.
    Beat to death but still running. All original except the speaker jack that my dad had his TV repairman friend and bass player replace with a 1/4. It needs to be refreshed as it's missing the light-up logo and chrome Ampeg logo on the speaker cab. A lot of gigs have gone through this amp. He used to use it for his electric piano and vocal mics, once in a while a bass in there too :)
    Good Times :)

19. giacomobass

giacomobass

Dec 30, 2011
    Italy
    Very cool! You can also scratch between lines.

20. T-boneParish

T-boneParish Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin
    The stylus doesn't work but the turntable turns. I have a chrome skull with spikes drilled into the top. When I'm writing I like to spin the skull slowly on the turntable for inspiration. Yeah Skull on Turntable.jpg ... I'm THAT guy!