1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show your TWEED heads and cabs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by myke.nytemare, Nov 10, 2006.

1. I am going to do my next rig in tweed (not sure if I will use real tweed or tweed tolex) and want to see what everyone else here has done with tweed!

I feel the need, the need for TWEED!!! (cue maniacal laughter)

2. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I tweeded my Trace Elliot V6. I also laminated flamed redwood on the front panel.

I love the look and -- this matters most -- I sound so much better!

:D

3. Wow. Just wow.

That kills me.

4. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Thanks!

It's REAL tweed -- and finished with Zinser amber varnish. If you're going to the trouble of doing this, why use faux tweed?

I have never had a person talk to me about amps during breaks or after a show 'till I did this. Now they line up (not really). But a LOT of guitarists/bassists are curious and dig it.

I think this look really strikes a chord in a lot of folks. There's something about tweed . . . And if you've ever seen an old Fender amp, the tweed gets old, funky, and ragged in a good way (unlike rat fur, for example).

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Excellent work!!

What type of adhesive did you use to attach the tweed to the cabinet?

Any suggestions on suppliers? In know that www.partsexpress.com carries it as do a lot of other folks online.

6. /waits patiently for James Hart to come knockin'...

I want some Classic 400 Tweedy goodness, James!!!

7. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I did some research and discovered that plain ol' carpenter's glue would work well and didn't have toxic fumes issues. I used Titebond, but I think Elmer's would be fine, too.

Because real tweed is a fabric, be prepared to use a lot of glue. It's got lots of nooks and crannies to fill. It never soaked all the way through, though. And I coated both the wood and the fabric before the wrap.

I can attest that it's way more friendly than contact cement. I did have to clamp the ends for drying, but overall it was pretty easy. And my lungs aren't toast.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Exactly my thought when I saw the thread title.

9. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm generally not a fan of defacing an amp..... this on the other hand, is seriously sexy...

SM

10. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Yeah, the Peavey Classic 400 with matching tweed 8x10 has got to be the sexiest stack of all time... not to mention that it's a freakin' tube head on top of a 8x10! :eek: I forget who on here has the full stack, but paint me green with envy.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Teedub told you a few posts earlier when he wrote:

12. Now he just needs to tweed the El Whappo!! That'd be hot.

13. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I'm talking about the full stack: the Peavey 8x10 in tweed, too... no, I've drooled over James Hart's Classic 400... someone on TB has the full stack, I just can't remember who...

14. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    A-ha! I found the stack I was talking about... page 10 of the Rigs of Doom thread... Funkster has the Peavey Classic 400 head and matching 8x10 both in tweed... personally, the sexiest rig I've ever seen.

15. :smug:

rig20060904_001.jpg

here are a couple from the classic 400 site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    That's all???

18. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    A 9-yr old thread being revived from the dead!! Don't see that every day....:D But since you asked, here's my recently acquired LDS 1212/6/1 variant with- oh yes... tweed!

20151130_104943.jpg

20151130_103515.jpg

ZuluFunk, Dave W and BillyB_from_LZ like this.