1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Show your WIDE spaced 6-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Apr 26, 2006.

1. I'm looking for pics of your 6-string bass with wide string spacing only. 18, 19, or 20mm at the bridge.

My upcoming Stambaugh custom is planned to be a 6-string with 19mm spacing and I'm trying to get some visuals of that configuration. Seems like most of the 6ers out there have a more narrow spacing, which I definatly don't feel comfortable on.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    These are the two sixes that I've owned and since sold that both had 19mm spacing. I like 19mm on a four-string and about 18mm on a five-string, but it's a bit cumbersome to do all that muting on a six-string when the spacing is so wide. My current Zon has 17mm I believe (maybe 16.5) and it's a lot more comfortable for me.
    My old Hill Custom fretless
    full5.
    And my old Elrick Classic singlecut
    dsc04343.
    A couple shots of my hand in relationship to the string spacing- I've got medium-small hands.
    dsc04502.
    playing.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's a nice Stammie (not mine):

[​IMG]

Here's an F Bass that I REALLY wish I had been able to get from ebay recently:

[​IMG]

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Does that Stambaugh have the tiniest ramp in the world on it?

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Looks to be...great looking bass though.

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Prepare to hurl :p

d4163702.

18mm IIRC

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd really like to get used to a smaller spacing but I always feel most comfortable with 19mm spacing on 6's.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    On your Roscoe, it looks like it's set at 17mm now. The adjustable string spacings on your Hipshot A bridge are all adjust to be as close as possible. Standard should be 18mm though. Which brings up a good point- Lokire, get a bridge with adjustable string spacing if you can. You'll be able to adjust about 1mm or so in from the standard spacing if your feel it's too wide.

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal

I totally forgot i did that lol :oops:

Honestly i messed with the bridge for fun and left it where it was because it didn't feel much different. For me, if the spacing isn't extreme, i don't mind what it is.

10. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    My new Ibanez BTB1206e (which I bought from Marcus Allen) is spaced 19mm at the bridge. My left hand is definately still adjusting, but it feels great to slap on. I'm thinking that maybe a smidge tighter could be nice for playing chords and contrapuntal lines, but I found the 16mm on a SR506 too narrow.

Attached Files:

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Cpach, if you ever sell that one than please let me know. I didn't have the extra cash for it right now but would've loved to have had it. Great to see a ramp on it.

12. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    You owe it to yourself to play an F bass if you haven't. They have 19mm spacing and are soooooo comfortable. Before I played a wide neck 6er like that I was afraid it would be too wide, but the thing that makes the F neck so comfortable is the thin profile. Once you've played one, you won't want anything else.

13. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I'll keep that in mind, but it's not going anywhere for a while. It really is a great instrument. Tone is fat and huge, and the overall quality is impeccable.

The ramp is cool. I don't really use it that heavily yet, but I've done some experimentation with freestroke technique and it is nice for that.

I'll be doing a more thorough review (with soundclips) later tonight in the Ibanez Club thread.

14. My Shukers are 18 mm spacing.

Shukerfretless.

Shukerfretted.

107_0784resized.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Cool, keep me in mind though. My F Bass BN6 will keep me company for the time being...;) :bassist:

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Man, it's that acoustic 6 string Shuker that will always haunt me. I'd do most anything for that one.

17. kinda looks like someone already did :)

just kidding to all you lovers of that kind of top :)

18. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Not mine (only in my dreams)

IMGP0274.

Dscf0003.

19. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

18 mm:

Body2.

Body3.

20. I'm still not entirely sure whether I want 18mm or 19mm...

I'm not sure what kind of bridge choices I'll have since it'll have to work with whatever piezos Chris uses.