Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Showdown!! 2 GS112s vs. 1 GS212...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, May 21, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Okay, Dave and I finally got around to taking my rig to his practice space, and setting up my Aguilar DB750 and Alembic SF-2 Superfilter and 2 GS 112 cabs against my Aguilar DB750 and Alembic, and Dave's Aguilar GS212. It looked a lot like this:

[​IMG]

We used my MIA 75 Jazz w/JRetro and Fralins, my US Curbow Petite 5 string w TI Jazz Flats, and Dave's magic Reverend 4. We also left the bass and treble boosts on, and the tone knobs set at 5.

Both setups sounded great. The only real difference are the exact ones you would think--the 2 112s were louder since they were pushing a 4 ohm load vs the 212 with an 8 ohm load. The 112s had a slightly deeper bottom (again, probably attributed to a 4 ohm load).

In the end, I think we both got the perfect setup for our styles. Dave plays louder stuff than I do, for the most part, so having the option of running only GS112 will suit me when I play a quieter gig. But, having the second 112 cab gives me the option to induce vomiting by sheer volume--I actually made the fillings in my teeth rattle with the gain on 3 with two 112s running at 4 ohms.
    Dave, OTOH, would never really benefit from the more modular setup, and he benefits by getting casters on his GS212.

I think if we had used a 4 ohm GS212, it would have been difficult to tell which setup was which. If anyone feels compelled to ship us a 4 ohm GS212, we'll be happy to lug my stuff back over there for a more thorough comparision. ;)

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    how'd the DB750 sound with the 2x12 and the 2x10. i'm guessing that was pretty intense.

and how does the SWR head sound with the aggie cabs? does it still keep the SWR clarity?

3. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

We didn't hook his two cabs up to the DB 750 today, but we did at the Atlanta Bass Get Together. It was definitely an amazing rig--of course, when we hooked up all 4 cabs, well...that was pure insanity....:eek:

We put a new tube into his SWR today, too. Dave can tell you more about it. WE A/B'd the rig before and after the tube swap, and the NOS tube sounded 10x clearer than the Groove Tube that we took out of the head. His SWR through his Aggies is an amazing rig.

4. We definitely had some fun, blastin' away at high volume! Jason's DB750 into the pair of 1x12s is incredibly loud. I mean, like, ear-bleedin' loud. That rig could handle about any situation, and the scary thing is, it's only two 1x12s. Think about throwin' a 4x10 under there, or a 2x12, or another pair of 1x12s.[​IMG] The mind reels.
    As for my rig, it'll take your head off, buster! It's big and punchy and loud, loud, loud. Jason popped that new tube in my SM-900 and, like he said, it made a big difference.. much clearer and cleaner, and I was able to push the gain higher without clipping. The tube, which I got from Chuck Moses (he posts here as Chuck M.), is a NOS RCA "Black Plate" 12AX7 from the late 40s or early 50s. Chuck was great to work with; I e-mailed him for advice on a replacement tube, and he got back to me very quickly with a detailed description of some of his favorites. The RCA was his recommendation, so I went with it, and it was the right move. Thanks, Chuck! :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey Dave...not to hijack the thread...but how does SWR sound going through an Eden (still enjoying yours, BTW)...I'm thinking of going over to a SWR IOD instead of the Eden head I have now...so what's the SWR on Eden action like, in comparison to the Eden on Eden action? Or can you make the distinction?

back On Topic...

I'm jealous. Those look like killer rigs. I've got to convince myself that I don't need an Aggie 1x12 for my room...GAS GAS GAS...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, those cabs lined up like that are gorgeous....

........faints............

7. Both Awesome rigs. I still can't make up my mind between portability and pushing air. The trouble with the little guys is I would have to use two more 8ohm enclosures to add any more cabs. I probably should just buy them all and be done with it....

All in all I am waiting for my store to get in the gs212 so I can a/b for myself. Thank you for your efforts and test results, a great help. Glad you had a ball too.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...you a funny dude, bassmonkeee! :D

Man, all them cabs looks familiar...and so do that Dee Bee Sebbin-Fiddy.... ;)

The experience of hearing that whole monstrosity hooked up at the ATBGT was life-altering! :eek:

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  10. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    what do you guys recommend in the way of wattage for to drive one of those 112's at
    8ohms and at 4ohms?

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Steve,

anything above the rated 300 watts @ 4ohms should be fine.

Dave,

that dual 2x10 & 2x12 setup is unreal. got the tight lows of the 2x12, but tight response of the 2x10 for slap. what do you play?? what gigs you doing with this? seems like an r&b players' large room dream! i'm sure it was killer with the retubed SWR, but i can only wonder how the DB750 rocked.

12. Jokerjkny,
    I'm playin' rock 'n roll music with this rig. It's a trio. The guitarist is using a 100-watt Line 6 combo, and the drummer wails like Animal from the Muppet Show. So, I gotta cut through! I don't slap at all, just pluck with two fingers. I am digging the hell out of this rig. We played our first gig the other day on a 20x20 ft. outdoor stage, and it sounded awesome. Tomorrow night, I get to test it out in a club.

13. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have the Aguilar db 359 with 2 112s and I love it, but I would love to hear it with the 212 cab and 2-10 set-up. Do you think the db 359 would sound good with this set-up?

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    it could work, but considering the DB359's only 200 watts, and the combined wattage of the two cabs is about 600 watts, you might be forced to crank the DB359 for more volume, and into ranges that might make the power amp start to clip. and that would really suck. :(

15. Actually, the combined wattage of the 2x10 + 2x12 would be 950 watts! So you'd really have to crank a 200-watt amp. My SM-900 is right on the money for the cabs I've got.

16. Dave
    I'm not quite sure how the 900 hooks up, but if it's like the Eden I used both 8ohm speakers are plugged into the two 4ohm load speaker connections (not in bridge mono for this hookup) and consequently would only get 175w out of the potential 300w per side. I believe your 900 is rated higher than my Eden 600 watt amp.

Anyway, I was wondering if the difference in your Aggie 2x10 (350w) and 212 (600w) causes and unbalance in the corresponding output transformers in the SS amps such as the Eden and SWR900? I don't think it really hurts anything, but I would think one side would be working harder than the other. I only use my Eden for a backup and gig with my Mesa 400+ amp. I'm pretty sure my 400+ would pump with the two Ags. My Mesa Diesel cabs are more closely rated, the 15" is 400w and the 210 is 350w, both 8ohm which gives me a 4ohm load. All I know is the tube amps react differently than SS.

17. Man, that's a good question. I really don't know. I hope I'm not hurting anything! I'm running the amp in bridged mono and daisychaining the cabs. Amp ---> 2x12 ---> 2x10. Four ohms total. The amp gets hot, as usual, and it's definitely working harder now, but since I'm running it bridged, I'm not sure about one side or the other. Sometimes, I'm just blissfully ignorant!

18. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    as far as my education goes, it shouldn't make any difference what wattage rating the cabs are as long as they each can take the amount of power you send them without melting down. AKA As long as you don't put more than 700 watts (350 +350) into the 4 ohm load it shouldn't make a hoot of a difference cabinets and won't be potentially damaged. I don't think that 600 watts cab rating rather than 350 watts cab rating means that the 600 has to "work harder" at all, but rather means it can soak up more juice before melting. the spl levels show "how hard a cabinet has to work" to create a certain volume with a certain amount of watts.

Maybe that makes sense to somebody. Or maybe i'm totally wrong

19. Yes I agree the cabs are not working harder, it would be the amp because one cab needs (??) more juice to drive it than the other (??) that is what I'm still confused on.

As far as Dave's hook up, I don't know his amp, but my Eden stated that if you run two cabs the recommened hook up was to run them in each side not in the Bridged Mode. Unfortuneatley with Eden if you have two 8ohm cabs you lose power with that hook up, but I'm using a Mesa 400+ anyway.

Dave check you manual. It's probably all right, but I would check. I've made so many mistakes in my time it's always worth checking with the OEM or reading your manual if you can understand it.

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If the amp can handle a 4 ohm load bridged, then you are set. The amp doesn't care if you are running one 4 ohm cab, two 8 ohm cabs, or 4 16 ohm cabs. It all looks the same to the head.