Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shower me with your collective wisdom, elder statesmen of bassdom.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CodeYbassboy, May 3, 2005.

1. I've pretty much outgrown my Hartke 3500. So, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for a really neat, really loud amp. There are a couple of amps that look very interesting and I was wondering if you guys could throw in your two cents about them.

I'm looking for a pretty standard hard rock tone. Nice and big and chunky, very touch sensitive. If I hit the strings really hard, I want the amp to break up and get distorted. I'm a big fan of Geezer Butler's sound on the old Sabbath albums. I play in a three piece rock band that floats somewhere in between stoned out riff fests ala Sleep and fairly standard hooks and choruses ala Nirvana. Incedentally, if you find yourself in the Danbury area of CT on Friday night, come down to the Empress Ballroom for some great awesome. Distorted tones are a must. Our drummer hit his drums incredibly loudly, so volume is pretty important too.

Tube amps sound like they're the way to go, however, they tend to be really expesive and harder to maintain. I"m a very clumsy guy and I don't take stellar care of my gear, so rugged-ness is something else that I'm looking for. The Fender Bassman 300 looks really cool, but its pretty expensive. A friend recommended some of the higher-priced Yorkville/Traynor stuff. Those look pretty decent as well. There's always the Ampeg and Mesa stuff, but I'd have to sell a few of my non-vital organs to afford one.

One of the bigger Gallien-Kruegers with a Sansamp through the effects loop for some extra warmth and grit might be a great compromise though. I hear the Gallien-Kruegars are incredibly tough and surprisingly warm for SS amps.

I don't know. Any suggestions that you dudes have would be most enlightening.

Thanks

2. You can get ampeg and mesa stuff in fairly good condition fairly cheaply (i said fairly, i mean in comparison to retail :p ) on ebay

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another warm, almost tubey ss amp you should DEFINITLY check out iis the Groove Bass 1200 by Kustom. You want loud...how 'bout 1200 watts @ 2 ohms? This head delivers Mesa-like tone and can easily add grit to your sound. I don't play that particular style,(I'm a funk, jazz, gospel bassist) but Quadzilla, Sutton, jp, and a few other Kustom klub members will be along shortly to extole the virtues.

Oh... price. You can get all this for about $499 on eBay or $599 i@ your local dealer.

Check it out.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I chose a GK (700RBII), but it's still on-order, so I can't tell you for sure if I made the right decision yet!

One thing I can tell you is that they have a touch-sensitive distortion tone - via the boost knob - that's really nice! That's one reason I picked it.

Joe

5. Thanks for the invite GSPLBASSDC.
    It seems there is either a love or hate opinion of the Kustom.
    Try it out.
    Get it from a place that has a good return policy.
    If you don't like it try something else.
    It may not be right for some folks.

Even though I had problems with my first one,http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176724 I am proud to report the 2nd one is thumping along nicely. :bassist: :hyper: :D

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I play lots of hard classic and new rock. My Kustom sounds nice and gritty, very tubey with the gain up and the master down. I can do a KILLER imatation of Gezzer doing Electric Funeral with my G&L, DOD pedal and my Groove Bass head. It's a great head for Black Sabbath, etc...

Go try one out. Kustom has a nice website with a dealer list (www.kustom.com). It's got the most watts (1200!), features and tone for about $500 new... No other head that I'm aware can match it's bang for the buck. So far, I've only seen one die (JP's) out of all the forums and reviews, etc. Damn good track record thus far, but it is a fairly new head (came out this time last year). Good luck!