showing off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Newman, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey all,
    This isn't a real big problem but it certainly is something that gets on my nerves. When I'm at a guitar players friends house he is usually playing guitar, and always doing something cool at that. He's playing interesting solos and people are gonna pay attention to him and all because that's what he's good at (not a great band/rythem player though). It's the same thing with one of my bassplaying friend. He's a theory idiot but he knows all this crazy tapping stuff and cool slap stuff that when people watch him they are like... wow! When I practice I usually learn theory or practice my rythem or my music reading, stuff like that. When it comes my turn to screw around I don't know what to do. It's all boring stuff that people aren't that amazed at because i don't practice a whole lotta important stuff or playing really fast. I know there are gonna be alotta people replying saying what I am doing is right for a bassplayer or jsut the plain... what the hell are you talking about, which is more important, being entertaining or making your band sound good!? Stuff like that. But I'm sure there is someone out there who knows my problem and will come to my aid with some advice or personal experience... or even some cool songs or riffs or solo's I should learn, I'm good enough to learn most of that stuff out their. Thanks alot and hope someone knows what I'm talking about. Later
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The difference is that you are more of a "bassist" and they are more a "bass player" and "guitar player." I would rather have you in a band anyday, than a player. You know your function in the music and how to interact with the other instruments.

I know the ego stroking feels good. Getting into a decent band should help. Impressing people one-on-one with parlor tricks isn't much. Getting onstage with a unit and getting a reaction with a combined musical force is great!
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Impress yourself, don't worry about others.
  4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    I've gotten to the point where I don't care what other people think about me. I play what I like, and if others don't like it, screw them.
  5. If you're just looking for some cool riffs though, just pick a song you like and download the tabs and figure out the cool part. Or buy a book on bass riffs, they're definitely out there.
  6. would it be right to say that all guitarists are the spawn of satan
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden

(Slightly?????;) )
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I agree, impress yourself and don't worry about the others. I do know what you mean though (see my post, "Someone tell me why..."). If you want some cool bassline thingies to play, I like to play Cliff Burton's bassline from "Orion" off of Master of Puppets. You know at the halfway point where the band goes all quiet and then the bass comes back in? Also, I recently figured out the intro bassline to "Have You Seen Me?" by GWAR. GWAR by the way is the greatest band ever assembled, chock full of underrated musicians. Ever seen Beefcake play "Maggots" fingerstyle? Whoa!
  9. I don't play to impress people, either. I play to keep the band up on it's feet. No bass groove, no good song. Simple as that. :D I think MUCH more on a groove level than a soloing level, so when the drummer told me to play something, just some "drum & bass stuff", I layed a nice groove, and we all loved it. But then he said it was lacking something, and picked up a guitar and asked me for chord changes etc.
    He threw some guitars over it, and it sounded more...complete.
    Then again, I have occasionally impressed people with some really nice grooves, but that's...ummm...twice out of many groove-laying sessions. :D