1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

showing off

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 16, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    I have recently found that i have one amazing talent. I can make myself look like i'm a much more amazing god bass player then i really am (i'm just..intermediate..nothing special). Because of this..i have the urge to prepare for a talent show next year at school, wich would just be me showing off. does anyone have any recomendations for little tricks and techniques you can do that look really cool, seem impressive, and will help in showing off?
    So far i have i couple...like tuning key vibrato, or just doing crazy stuff with tuning keys..or doing an extreme bend..then with the tuning key, tune the note back to the same starting pitch while still holding the bend..then releasing the bend and tuning it back to normal at the same time, or bending the neck of my bass to make a whammy like effect, or "bending" my E string off the fret board, and then holding it in specific places to make some sweet noise. What other untalented but crowd pleasing things are there to do? (you can throw in some talented things to do if you'd like)

P.S. i need to repeat that fact that i know i'm only intermidiate...and that i'm not full of myself. The only reason i wanna do the show is cause..hell, i'm 15..what 15 year old doesn't wanna show off.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Maybe you'd like to try this...
    ...but read this thread after watching.

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    lol. Fun thread.

4. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    lol, i have throughly read through that thread already...and have already decided that even though i like to show off...i'm not gonna risk doing that move..cause i'd probebly fail and either hurt myself..or a crowd person..or just kill the bass and get laughed at.

5. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    ya, wat was i thinking, making a thread about spinning a bass...

I'm still gonna try it with my Ibanez GSR200 with blown-up pickups though!!

6. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    IME, the general public still "ooo's" and "aaah's" at someone ripping a really fast slap/pop solo...even some tapping?

-jimno

7. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Even some simple slapping seems to wow most people. Maybe play with harmonics a bit? :meh:

8. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    good suggestions...i just came outa my room where i was playing bass...and i tried out tapping...fun..just gotta figure it out. i'm also attempting to throw some slap into the mix..breaking it down and getting it funky...then some sweeping arpegios...chords...and bassically spending ALOT of time above 12th fret

9. rowyco

rowyco

Sep 24, 2004
    Traverse City, MI
    About throwing or spinning your bass, it's not all that hard yet it looks fairly cool. Needless to say, straplocks and a lot of room is a must for this maneuver to work properly. I pretty much have it down now and I didn't harm my bass or myself while learning. You just got to get the bass and toss that sucker and be confident that your straplocks work.

10. temporalbassist

temporalbassist

Aug 10, 2005
    I can relate to this guy a lot. I'm not a constant member here or anything, but I did the same thing when I was 15 at my high school. It doesn't have to be showing off, but a lot of talent shows want structure in order to get in. So I picked a tough song: Metallica (Cliff Burton) song from Kill em All "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)" This requires distortion and wah, but it worked.

I'd say that most people aren't going to pick up on anything other than either speed, or how much emotion you put into your playing. I wasn't very popular at the time in school, felt like an outcast, so if you just play your heart out and worry about that first (and impressing people later) you'll get better results.

11. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    the neat technique is neat. builds confidence- very important for music- just depends where you use it.

but- basically yngwie malmsteen and victor wooten are at the top of their game for neat stuff you wish you could play but could never really market than mere self-indulgence.

my suggestions- it's all right hand. go with 3 up then add 3 down. same thing works with just the first two. i rarely tap- but aside from looking cool it's nearly worthless in a band setting. again- i do it a bit- it's fun. other than that- jus start slapping and mixing in a tap or two or a funky slide or something- combo efforts always ound unique- which sometimes means impressive.

12. Take up the guitar and play with your amp at 11.

QED.

13. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    fretting with your left had OVER the neck. Pretty easy.
    Them mix it up playing alternate notes under and over.

I'd really like to figure some easy way of picking with my left hand for when I've got LONG runs of open A's or E's (v. boring).

Ultimalty I'd like to figure out playing the bass upside down (probably more vertical), so I can pick with my left and fret with my right. I don't think it would be that hard - probably only a few days practice to crack it for easy stuff, but it's a low priority.

Ian

p.s. detuning the pegs - If you haven't seen them: Bela Fleck and Victor do this live - they basically play against each other... initially seriously, then they "get petty", and start hitting each others instruments. Finally they detune EACH OTHERS pegs (and of course continue playing flawlesly!). It's pretty funny, and very flashy.

$

14. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    lol. Best advice yet.

15. :rollno:

16. Everyone always says that slapping wows peope but in my experience tapping draws a much bigger response. Learing to tap, properly, is really hard. However, just to impress the other guys in the band I wrote a bit of tap for part of one of our songs. I practiced it for 30 minutes every day for a week (in addition to my normal hour a day), and I got it. I played it at the next practice and, I kid you not, the guitarist actually forgot what he was supposed to play. The three of them just stopped and watched me for about a minute, in silence.

I can't tap for biscuits, except for this one thing, but it blew their little minds.

Give it a go and have fun.

Cheers

17. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  18. artificial harmonics+distortion

19. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    artifical harmonics?

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.