Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Showmanship

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Aug 10, 2001.

1. All showmanship and gimmicks

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Showmanship but play OK

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Balance between the music and the visual

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. Some moving and posture...but mostly play great

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I don't wanna be some &%# clown! All about the music!

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Gene Simmons... Flea... Steve Harris... these are all bassists with serious stage presence and lots of showmanship ability (you probably have noticed already :rolleyes: duh! :D )

Yea, yea, I know it's the music. However people go to concerts to be entertained... and yea the visual has become way too important. As a matter of fact maybe that's why kids only wanna see singers now..:mad:

Showmanship is therefore a part of the equation like it or not. It can be a mere posture or jumping all over the place...or spitting fake blood :D :D More importantly it brings attention to the instrument and the player(s).

Thanks to Flea's gimmicks (and awesome slap'n'play action mind you), Steve Harris's "machine gun attack", and Gene... er, being Gene, some kids have picked up the bass. Oh, yeah, be prepared: Fieldy and Mark Hoppus may very well have moved some kids today into playing bass...ouch!

But hey, it's part of the game. At least we all have to make a choice on the subject. We just stand around or we stir up the crowd. Of course, I and we would prefer the Geddy Lee or Mark King types most of the time. Every now and then though it's cool to have a Gene Simmons flying over the crowd and making his smarta** remarks... all in the name of fun.

AND... if you can PLAY like Harris or Flea and STILL stir it up... you are a god... of sorts :cool:

What's a NO-NO is no playing AND no showmanship... Paul McGuigan (ex-Oasis) anyone? He's either not interested... or drunk... or stoned beyond description... pitiful.

So there...I guess now I'd like to see thoughts on showmanship and stage presence and whether or not the concept clashes with musical ability... or if there is a way both can coexist.

But please, don't try the sock on the you-know-what thing...
    :eek: :D ... or the diapers ... :rolleyes:

2. Here's a funny story - Zak Sally, the bass player for Low, supposedly fell asleep while playing a show once. How's that for stage presence?

3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    I use a balance. I thought showmanship was stupid until I saw how uncomfortable I looked on stage(thank you Video Cameras!)

But, then I over did it and sucked. I think, as with most things, there is a happy medium. I like to rock out, but not past the point of good playing.

4. You gotta move. When I go to shows I want to see that the performers are excited about what they are doing. If they aren't into it, then i can't get into it.

5. In my metal band, were all about being serious and into the music, we act around a little bit, but not much.

My punk band, on the other hand, we like to be dorks and mess around and stuff. we play hard but we work hard too.

6. Guys... on my initial post I forgot about CLIFF BURTON'S HEADBANGING!!!!:eek: :oops:

Dang!

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Depends on several factors, some of which are[

- the music genre you're in
    - what the audience responds to
    - the band itself

For instance, pouring lighter fluid on your bass and lighting it probably won't go over in a trad jazz band.

Feigning a grand mal seizure in a nu metal band is practically mandatory.

And on the last point, the band, Entwistle's blase expression and fixed stance added to the impact of the rest of the Who's histrionics.

Bottomline, audiences, in general, want some fantasy with the music. They came to leave reality outside the doors.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I agree that some showmanship is required. If you look like you're having fun on stage the audience will feel that and have more fun themselves.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It all depends on the style of the music you play because it´s stupid if you act like Flea in a jazz band or fall asleep like that bassist for Low in a heavy metal band..

10. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i noticed that the members in Tool dont move around as much except for maynard... and ppl LOVE their shows!!

Its the MUSIC!

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with a bit of showmanship, and if Gene Simmons wants to take it to that extreme, and people want to watch him do it, then that's fine.

For me personally, however, I suppose that I learn more towards the Entwistle type of stage "act". I've tried to get into it more, or rather look like I'm into it more, but I never really felt comfortable with it. But the rest of my band can all be pretty flashy when they want to be (especially the singer & drummer), so I suppose that there's plenty for people to look at.

12. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    I'm with yawnsie. I try to be more of a showman, but I end up feeling like a dork. Jazz bands have ruined me.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like to have fun more than anything. The day that music becomes work to me is the day I retire. :D

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'd ideally like to have crazy sh1t going on all around me so I could concentrate on playing. No one wants to look at my ugly mug anyway.:D

15. IMO, showmanship is very important. I hate it when a band comes out on stage and just stand there and play songs note for note, word for word. If I just wanted to see that it would be cheaper to play a CD. You want to see a show, you want to hear some crowd interaction, you want to get your moneys worth.
    Jim

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    it depends on the type of music you play, and even the specific tune your playing at the time as to what to do on stage.
    I like to have fun when I play at rehearsal and shows. I take the Eddie Jackson approach when Im on a stage. He walks around a bit, but mostly hangs out by Scott Rockenfiled, and he has this serious look on his face most of the night, but at the same time you can tell he's having a good time.

17. I try to maintain a healthy balance between going insane and playing the song correctly.

18. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    :D
    You HAVE to give it some man.......if you dont
    your either under-rehearsed, or dead! ;)

seriously.....your in the entertainment industry, people want to be entertained, and with a live gig thats eyes and ears equally
    otherwise the cd is fave.

there is a dynamic, visually to be observed
    its a bit like choreography (you know what i mean)
    you dont wanna bump into eachother, or knock over the cymbals or anything (that just looks amateurish and embarrasing to boot!)

by the way entwhistle dances with his fingers!
    it would be daft with all 4 of the who whirling around (dynamics)

amen:oops:

19. Actually this is an interesting case...

To me it's just so funny... Roger flipping the mike... Pete smashing the guitars and doing that windmill... Keith... Keith... being himself. And back there John is like he is cool...or he doesn't care... or thinking "hum...yea another smashing session, gee whatever.." He's got this "I don't know what's goin' on around me" look. I just LMAO with him.

And you know what...that could very well be a quiet form of showmanship. I have this feeling John knew the other guys were just crazy beyond crazy so he took the completely opposite philosophy. I think it worked. Visually having three guys behaving like idiots along with the "serious" one (or clueless?) works great. That contrast...so cool.

Part of the bassist's decision on the showmanship issue has to do with the rest of the band and each member's approach...

20. it dosen't depend on what kind of music you play it depends on the musician that you want to be if you'd rather be a popular, less than great stage act than sure go ahead and do some incredibly stupid thing, maybe play bass while hanging upside down from an enormous blimp or whatever or if you would like to be respected as a serious musician and an artist and focus completely on all that matters which is the music. if get famous and someone hears your name do you want them to reconize it because of your stage antics or do you want, the moment someone hears you name to think of the most incredible, mind blowing, life changing music they have ever heard