"Showy" song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DiG, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Whats a song on bass thats good to show off how you can play. Twice today at school, someone was like "bust out the bass and play something" and I didn't have something off the top of my head to play, I ended up playing Higher Ground the 1st time and the intro to Pretty Little Ditty the second time.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS. im not sure if this is the right forum
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Walking On The Moon
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Running With The Devil
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Megadeth - Peace Sells or Dawn Patrol

Both are really groovin' basslines.

4. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    If you like RHCP, then arguably it wouldn't get any better than showing off that you can play Aeroplane.
  5. i was thinking aeroplane,
    thanks for the suggestions
    slap songs are always fun
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I remember pulling out my bass in high school and college, and people would say "play me a song." My response was usually "it's not plugged in, so you wouldn't even hear it, and if I played a bassline to a song you know, you probably wouldn't recognize it."

The only ones that I could play that they'd recognize would usually be "Blister in the Sun," "Money," or the bassline in "Rapper's Delight," none of which are very showy. I kinda just play my own music now when someone asks (no one's asked in a while).
  7. yeah, but its usually fellow musicians asking because apparently im the best bassist in the school, and that seems to have gotten around :meh:
  8. robe

Oct 19, 2003
    if u want to impress people, RHCP is a good if your playing to people who dont play bass or guitar. BUt if you want to play something that takes a fair bit of talent and will help built status as a bassist is some good jazz lines or good slap or tapping solos. Songs like Norwegian wood (victor wooten) is great and bvery flashy. Teen town by jaco pastorious is fantastic simply tricky to play, very complex and can be play slap or fingerwstyle.

Hope this will help you.

RHCP bass is great to begin with but dont get stuk playin that for the rest of your life, discover jazz and listen to Jaco. I honestly think the best basslines ive seen from flea have been on the Off the map DVD..great improvisation there.. super funky
  9. robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Btw, ive been wanting to change myinformation name thing that appears at the bottom of a post. I put it as that wen i started and i never figured out how to change it, so if anyone would be kind enough to give me instructions on how to change it, it would be greatly apreciated!! :D
  10. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop

Everyone knows it and loves it. Not very difficult, but fun nonetheless!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    N3 jthin by Sl1pK0t!
  12. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    This is a tricky subject. To satisfy non-musicians I usually have to play Seinfeld or Mario or something for them. Then they cackle like hens. However, if I want to satisfy other musicians I usually end up playing something nice and melodic. Usually E Mixolydian and just keep messing around with some chords, quick slap licks, nice basslines. True musicians would never ask you to wow them with something anyway.