1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shredneck travel bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassinstincts, Jun 4, 2014.

1. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Acoustic Image
    Saw this advertised in BP. Price was $229 at the Shredneck Website. Bought it on impulse for $149 new on Ebay. First impression not good because it came with unbelievably sh*tty, dead strings of unknown provenance. Replaced them with short scale boomers and the little guy sounds pretty damn good. Not huge tonal range, but between the tone control and hand position over the P and J pickups (no pickup selector) there are actually some very usable and ballsy sounds at both ends of the spectrum and in the middle. Fit and finish seems quite respectable. Comes with a cheesy, thin gig bag, but its all you need and should expect for the r\price. Now I have to find a use for it beyond playing in the car when someone else drives on a long trip.

PS My one call to Shredneck "customer service" about a good string replacement was not returned. Maybe it
    was because I bought elsewhere and disclosed this fact up front.

2. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Pics or it didn't happen.

SBassman likes this.
  3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Anymore to say about this bass? I see it has the same scale as an Ibanez Mikro.

4. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Bringing up this old thread because I'm thinking of getting one. How is it holding up?

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'd like to know, too. $149, three color schemes and they seem pretty nice for traveling or playing on the couch.
    Bass Z-Series « Shredneck
    i also appreciate that the manufacturer shows pretty much every measurement and lists the weight (just over 5 pounds).

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Those basses are priced super low.

Looks like they did a great job on the design, and, the popularity of the same-scale Mikros should translate to nice sales for them.
    But I don't know.

They look like lots of fun to play.

I offered one time to help them put together a 25 inch scale bass like my Picco Bass, but they didn't go for it.

7. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Crap....I took too long to pull the trigger. They've gone up to $229.

8. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Well, here we are the next day and they're back on sale at $149. So...I pulled the trigger. I grabbed the red one. I'll put a NSB thread up when it arrives.

Dark Horse and scourgeofgod like this.
  9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    So what is the scale on these? The website says 5/8 scale which would be 21.25 inches. But at least two of you above say it is the same as Mikro which is 28.6 inches and far more interesting to me personally. The Mikro is between 3/4 and 7/8 scale, 27/32 scale actually. On the other hand if I try to scale it off from the dimensioned picture I get 30 inches or about 7/8 scale, which is also good for me. If anyone who has one, or is about to get one, would post the scale I would appreciate it.

10. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    I'll do it when I receive it and get to post a glorious NBD!

11. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Khutch, you don't seem to be familiar with the "fractional" student size/scale nomenclature of string instruments. Fractions are a purely conventional designation system; in fact, AFAIK they're even less than a convention in that they're not precise and universally understood (or perhaps they are if the scale length and proportions of the 4/4 version are themselves standardised - maybe a 3/4 violin does have a precise mensure and dimensions, IDK).
    At any rate, e.g. a 1/4 upright bass does NOT have a 10-odd inch (!) scale length (it's about 35" in fact), that's not how it works: unfortunately...how it really works is unclear to me. Same thing with (six string) guitars: a 1/2 scale is not <13", i.e. as short as a violin/mandolin, but about 20" actually.
    As far as I know, 3/4, intended as simply a very common small size version of the full-length standard, is usually synonymous with 30" in the bass guitar world. (That would make 7/8 equivalent to 32" but I've never encountered it.) So it's reasonable to surmise that 5/8 = "a little (one fret?) less", or 28.5".

As usual, I could be wrong.

wintremute likes this.
  12. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The tech info is great but no scale length?
    Wonder of they patented the tattoo sleeves?
    Tattoo Sleeves

13. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    The website says 5/8" scale, but that's being questioned.

14. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Mine came in the mail today. I'll try to get pics and info out tomorrow. However, I'm leaving town this weekend so there's a good chance it won't happen.

15. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    What's the verdict on scale length (in inches, not eighths)?

Happy NTravelBD boys and girls!
    NBD... sort of. shredneck travel bass! | TalkBass.com
    (For cross-referencing purposes.)

16. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    But...not this time:cool::
    (From the above linked NBD thread.)

Mystery solved!

17. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Acoustic Image
    Took the plunge and had Luthier Wes Lambe make the following mods: replaced the knockoff tuners, added a switch to allow three pickup selections, trimmed the sprouted frets. This little puppy is no longer dirt cheap. But I am using to gig and getting raves about the sound from the all-time small/ Shredneck 1. Shredneck 2. Shredneck 2. light combination of the Shredneck, Barefaced Bass (14-lb) single ten, and Acoustic Image Clarus head

wintremute and SBassman like this.
  18. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Cool, these look interesting. Now get A ubass and your whole rig will fit in your pocket!

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Those look pretty cool.

I like this better though, as it's got a built in amp, beats, and other fun stuff. Sounds and feels great, too:

apache-bass.

20. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    I went camping in Zion this past weekend. Took the Shredneck and a Vox mini amp and jammed by the campfire.