1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shrill

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Spearhead, Jan 10, 2002.

1. I was wondering how Jaco gets that amzing shrill in opus pocus. I just am unable to do it. Never seen it done, and the only audio representation I know of where its used is opus pocus.

2. I guess no one knows how to produce a shrill with their bass.

3. is that a kind of bird? ...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

NO - nobody knows what on earth you mean by "shrill" - I've never seen this term used with regard to bass technique in 20 years of studying it? "Shrill" to me, means piercing, high-pitched and all sorts of things that are quite the opposite to bass!

You may be confusing this word with "trill" which is used in music and means a sort of repetitive pattern which is like a very fast ostinato repeating quickly between 2 or more notes, usually as a sort of decoration.

OK - so I know the tune mentioned quite well - the only thing I can guess you mean is where he slides a chord (probably more accurately, a double-stop) upwards at the end of the phrase. It's usually called legato or portamento, but it's interesting in that Jaco plays a sort of dischord which shifts though the slide.

If that's not it, then I still don't know what you mean. :rolleyes:

5. I believe "shrill" is actually an adjective. So as the grammar police I will arrest this thread.

later

Drake