1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shrinking bass sections at GC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by threshar, Apr 3, 2009.

1. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    man... it seems to be a growing trend at my local GC to keep shrinking the bass section. It used to be halfway decent, now its pretty pathetic. (GC Nashua, NH).

Anybody else experiencing bass section shrinkage?

The one in boston has (had) a nice selection, but I despise driving into boston. I wonder if they cut the bass section down when they moved onto boylston st from commonwealth.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    this is nothing new. I recall visiting the GC on Sunset about 10 years ago and seeing a VAST selection of basses - now? not so much - and what they (and other) GCs seem to be pushing are their off-shored house brands of cheapo basses.

Feh to GC.

3. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Yeah I see that too, back in the day they had a wall of warwicks, top of the line fenders, 3-10 well taken care of vintage basses and many other brands and models.

went a month ago, they had 3 lowend warwicks, MIM fenders and a boat load of crappy ibanez and squires.
    whats a guy to do?
    online shopping here I go.
    I also miss MARS music where the people in the bass section actually played bass.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

5. ohskigod

ohskigod

May 5, 2008
    they did compress the one they had here, but still the same number of bases, just arranged more efifciently, they still carry a variety of basses of all shapes and sizes. its funny, lots of the issues I hear about GC's such as poor selection and dumb staff we are lucky enough not to have here in NJ. granted, they arent all knowing guru's but they are knowlegable enough to be helpful to those not in the know.

I do notice that selection of basses, or anything there, is cyclic. in other words, they'll sell lots of stuff and seem to not be replenished as fast as one mght think, then you'll look one day and there is a ton of **** there.

They'll probably be packed to the gills just befor ethe holidays. I would imagine the summer to be a dead period.

6. If you read the annual report.. GC is in a fiscal managment period.

GC is no replacement for Ebay, CL or TB classifieds.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    It's not just GC. Recently I was on a weekend trip with my wife to a major metro area, and I stopped in at a music store that was reputed to be the "best music store" in that area. I was astounded at the puny selection of basses and amps they had... much smaller than my own hometown shop in a much smaller MSA. I told the guy at the store flat-out that I had been expecting a lot more and he said it's too expensive for him to keep any bigger bass inventory than he has, but he could order me whatever I wanted.

So whatever, I guess.

8. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I'm in Boston and our old GC just moved to a new location and the Bass section grew and got much better - we now have a dedicated enclosed area, a bunch of vintage and high end stuff, a good amp/cab selection etc. The only thing lacking is bass related effects but otherwise it's the best location I know of in MA to find bass gear.

9. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I'm in Chicago and the various GC's around here have always been small, but now it seems that they are pushing their "upper low end" stock for... well... stereotypical guitar looking basses. I can say how bad we are, but we all know what I'm talking about. Luckily we have Bass Club here. :hyper:

10. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Sweet! Glad to hear that! I may have to take a trip over and drool a bit. Is there parking at the new location?

The benefit of say GC (or any store) over TB, Ebay, etc. is I can play with the bass beforehand and decide if I've got GAS-goggles on or if its really slick.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The GC in Seattle still has a reasonably decent bass section. That said, its sure tough to go into GC when Bass Northwest is only 5 minutes away and offers everything you could find at the GC and MUCH MUCH more.

12. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That's good to hear, I haven't had a chance to make it over there yet.

Hopefully they have a better bass string selection than before!

13. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    It's threads like this that make me feel fortunate here in Atlanta. To see what I am talking about go online to atlantabassgallery.com this is like 95% of the basses he has in the store. If you ever get the chance to visit in person you won't want to go home:hyper:

14. FWIW, the GC near me (Fort Lauderdale) seems to be decently stocked with new and used, high-end and low-end. The dude that I usually talk to, Grant, is an active bass player with a local band (at least, that was he says). I can't speak for the others that may work in that section because I only ever talk to him.

I like going in there to talk to him about things and try stuff out, but I must admit that I rarely buy anything other than small stuff like strings (my wallet is a big believer in used gear from places like CL and TB). He's always been knowledgeable and helpful.

I haven't been into any other GC, ever, so I don't know how it compares - but it sounds like this one near me is an exception (good to know).

15. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    Not my GC. Was just in earlier in the week. 4 Rays, 4 MTD's, a wall full of MIA Fenders, 5 Warwicks (no Rockbasses), a new Ric, Nicer Ibanez and Schecter, mid level Traben, MIM Fenders, then a bunch of cheaper Ibanez, Washburn, Squire, etc.

A bunch of Ampeg, GK, Markbass & Acoustic amps/cabs. The stuff extends out of the bass room and covers a wall just outside of the room. Sure, I would like to see more upper end stuff, but that isn't GC's deal.

As a guitar & bass player, I dig their bass selection better.

16. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    1+ Jim Rubio really has the bass community spoiled here and around Atlanta!:bassist:

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm lucky, (in a way), to have 3 GC's within 20 min of the house. Of the 3, one has a "bass room", and alot of really nice stuff. The other 2 are average, and it's hit or miss with the stock, but I've always got that "one", where it's sort of bass heaven, (short of an exclusively bass store).

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I think the bass selection as GC has always sucked, especially the smaller ones like danvers. The new location in boston is pretty sweet. The bass section is sequestered now, but they brought in some new high-end gear when they moved (new pedulla MVP5 and pentabuzz). The only bad part is with the room in the back it can get crowded as people walk in and around. The one in Warwick RI has always had nice stuff when I've gone in there, but that's like you driving down to boston - just a huge PITA.

19. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    heh, I could view not living near bassnw or atlanta bass gallery or other stores of that nature as a GOOD THING :)

Although, it would be interesting if one was say, 3 hours away. Far enough to discourage impulse trips, but not unreasonable if I really wanted to check it out and play some fancy pants basses or amps.

20. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Amen to that, The GC's at Pleasant Hill and Druid Hills have always had a decent selection. I went to the Druid Hills about 6 months ago and they had low-mid-high-and some custom and vintage stuff. And the Pleasant Hill one has a decent selection of mid-high range stuff.