Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shrinking Pickguard on '65 Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PartlyDave, Mar 26, 2005.

1. PartlyDave

PartlyDave

Dec 28, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I have a 1965 Fender Jazz bass and am finding that the pickguard is tending to shrink. Due to this shrinkage, the pickups became gripped by the pickguard - an easy fix for this was to enlarge the pickup slots. A more difficult problem to address is the screw points along the edge of the pickguard. As the pickguard shrinks, the screw holes pull in, thus misaligning the pickguard screw holes from those drilled into the body. Now some of the screws angle slightly inward. I see pictures of old Fenders with a tip of the pickguard missing, possibly due to this shrinkage and resulting misalignment of the screw holes causing too much tension. I'd hate for that to happen to my bass! Has anyone encountered such a problem and can lend some advise?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC, these old pickguards were made out of a material that decays and shrinks over the years and there's no way to reverse it.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The p/g acts much like lacquer - it continues to off-gas over time and shrink. You cannot stop it as has been stated, but if you're concerned about maintaing the guard I suggest removing the original and stowing it in a sealed plastic bag. It will minimize and slow shrinkage and you can reinstall it should you * gasp * ever part with the bass. A like-colored replacement is available to you as a stock or custom item and will at least keep up appearances.