Shud I get the Line 6 variax bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dumbassist, Sep 26, 2005.

1. dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Pls give me ur opinion abt this specific bass model as well as it's effect pedal (Bass PODxt live)
    Shud i buy it or not?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's really up to you. Go down to your local guitar shop and just try it out. Some people think it's synthetic, some people love it. YMMV.
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Not a big fan of the Line 6 stuff myself. Kinda soulless...
  4. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I played a variax a while back. The power-module-thingy was messed up so never heard it amplified. Felt like a Squire or mediocre Mexican Fender.
  5. pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    I don't know about the bass, but I know the guitart is a nice instrument. It reviewed well in Guitar player and I used to play with a guy who used one live. It got great tone(s) and was reliable.

The funny thing about the guitar player review though, was that they had a bunch of guitarists, Jimmy Herring, etc, try it out. When asked for their favorite tones, they all chose the tone of the guitar they play. Except for Scofield of course, who expectedly chose the sitar tone. I guess that is a compliment to the instrument, the tones must be authentic, but to me it read, just buy the one guitar (or tone) you like best.

6. I was looking at a Variax/Pod XT Live combo - and bought a used Roland V-Bass. Here's the math:

Costs c $1500 for the pair (I wanted a 5-string)
    Very average (and fuggly) bass, sexy pedalboard
    Plug & Play
    Editing software available
    Sounds good, as said before, somewhat sterile.

Cost $425 used + bass. Pickup is c $150 if you have several basses you want to use with it, also works as a GT-6B without the pickup
    Sexy pedalboard, your choice of bass (including 6-string)
    Tricky pickup setup - not impossible, takes time & patience
    Bass + V-Bass mix was a winner for me.
    Sounds great! (once the setup is optimum)
    No bl@@dy editing software...(grrr)

Hope this helps - just my 2c.
  7. Don't waste the money.

They're decent for recording, but not for live situations.

That's coming from someone who owned one.
  8. yeah, thats what i was going to say. i have played one, and i found that it has the same feel as a cheap bass, and the different tones might aid in recording, but as far as live goes, they were just another bass, nothing really special.
    and the price is a bit high for me to justify buying it
  9. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Having owned one, I will come to its defense here. I would not call it substandard in any way. The fit and finish are more on the level of a CIJ Fender than a MIM. Fretwork and action are perfect on mine, making it one of the most playable basses I've owned. Sounds great, whoever said it is souless probably hasn't spent a lot of time playing it. Most of the models are pretty close, best part buzz or hum. This makes it great for studio use, though I would not have any hesitation to use it live. The fact that a DI box is required to power is not a problem for me. I don't know why anyone would rather use the battery option, unless they forgot to bring the nice Planet Waves TRS cord which is supplied, and had to use a standard cable.
    Pontz does have a point, the models I use the most are the ones that represent basses I'm most used to...the Alembic, Ric or Modulus models. I actually think the Flea model sounds better than the real thing. Since I hated the flat, wide neck profile on the Modulus I sold it. I like a nice Jazz neck more than anything, and the Variax has it.
    One more have to keep fresh roundwounds on this thing. As soon as they get dull it really affects some of the models (especially the brighter ones). I put a fresh set of ProSteels on mine every 3 weeks or so and it keeps it sounding great. At $16.99 a set this isn't such a big detractor for me, at least. If the floor model at GC has worn nickels on it, you won't get a good impression of how nice this thing can sound.
    The Variax bass and any Bass Pod (I have the XT Live which also controls the Variax) are a great combination for the studio, and I would not hesitate to use it live. Fugly? Yeah, I suppose it is. Let's just say it will never replace my Alembic sound-wise or in the looks department. Not for everyone, I guess, and I respect marcusalan's opinion. But give it a try, you might like it as much as I do.
    I see Will Lee is now on the endorser's list.