1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shure 55 mic?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Plays_For_Dog, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I posted this over in the BG forum, but figured you rockabilly folks are far more likely to have experience with these.

Lately I've been jamming with a great guitarist who is also a great singer. After a particularly awesome session last weekend where we "clicked", we decided to start writing some material and begin the search for a drummer. As of now, we want to keep it a trio, with the guitarist carrying the duties of lead vocals. After about 4 hours of jamming, we spent about another hour sharing videos of bands on youtube that we like (not necessarily what we want to pattern our music from, just "influences" in some way or another).

I introduced him to Volbeat, we both agreed we liked the tone of their vocals. He has since decided he wants to try a Shure 55 microphone. To be able to give him some insight into these mics, I turn to the vast wealth of experience here on TB. Can any of you share your opinions, experience, pros vs cons of these nostalgic microphones?

Any input is greatly appriciated. Thanks!

55SHcopy.gif

2. Anyone? C'mon Rockabilly dudes (and dudettes).

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I've heard the SM55 is basically the same guts as the SM58 in a more stylish case.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I had a Shure 55s for a while. To me, it had some similarities to a 58 but it sounded a lot more lo-fi, even when I had the right impedance. They look cool, they are durable, and their sound is workable. The reissues use a 58 capsule and probably sound way better than the vintage ones.

5. Yeah, if he gets one, it will be a reissue. Even though we both love vintage equipment, with limited funds it's best not to gamble with reliability. Of course, that old school lo-fi muffle could also be cool.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021