Shure Beta 52 vs Beta 57?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gbarchus, Sep 25, 2010.

1. I bought a Shure Beta 52 as a drum mic but also thought it might work for bass speaker cabinet also. I assumed it was a large diaphram mic but, upon opening it, I was shocked! Is this marketing?

How is the capsule different from a Beta 57?

Gale

52.jpg

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    no, not marketing...it's a larger diaphragm. not by much ;) but enough to give it this kind of frequency sweep:

[​IMG]

as opposed to this one:

[​IMG]

3. Thanks Jimmy!

That explains it but still not a large diaphram. That's me not doing enough research. I have an AKG D112 that does the job. It seems like the vote is split between the D112 and Beta 52 for low cost kick mics and I wanted to find out for myself.

Gale

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    hmmm...i was just looking at the freq sweep of the d112, and to be honest, it looks a little more ideal for what i like on bass than i previously thought:

[​IMG]

looks a lot like how i set my svt or b-15. then again it may be too much of a good thing. but if we're going by freq sweeps, i'd use the beta 52 for kick quicker than i would the d112. beta 52 has more of those lows that work well for kick whereas the d112 looks like it has potential for stepping on the bass.

otoh, you can use eq on them and they'll all be fine ;)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use an Audix D6 on my drummer's kick drum. I don't think I'd use any kick-drum mic on my cabinet, though. Maybe something like a Rode NT-1A if you're looking for an affordable large-diaphragm mic. Its frequency response is pretty flat, and it'll handle 137 dB (at 1Khz).

[​IMG]

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021