1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shure GLXD wireless audio gain: where do you set yours

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by PCR, Nov 2, 2017.

1. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Recently, I bought a GLXD16, played with it in my house for a little while to get used to all the settings.

The other night, I pulled it out and used it in a show with my gig rig at stage volume.

My bass sounded awful, and at first I couldn't figure out what it was. Around set two I realized it was probably coming out of my GLXD16, so I unplugged it and used my trusty chord the rest of the gig.

When I got home I went through the settings and realized that the default Audio Gain was set at +20.

DOH!! :banghead:: Brain fart: totally my fault for not checking.

Everything sounded great at low volume at home and at rehearsal, but at stage volume everything crapped: Lesson learned.... rolled down audio gain to +0, will actually check the gain during next gig at sound check.

This got me thinking...

What do your GLXD audio gain set at?

2. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I didn't even know there was one.... Just about all my basses are passive and I've never overdriven my unit.

I;ll research how to check what mine is set to and report back.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd think you would never want it at anything other than unity ("0") unless there was a strange problem you were trying to fix.

bizarre that the default was anything other than "0".

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Was it a NIB unit or bought from someone 'cus it's strange that a NIB unit would arrive set to +20dB..
    However, I wouldn't even set it to 0dB.
    Being "digital" you need to leave some headroom, because once you hit 0db on digital.. distortion !!
    Set it at -3 or -6dB and use the trim/gain on the console (or amp) to compensate, or your DI output level is adjustable and you are not mic'ing a cab.

5. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I agree. I thought the same thing and didn't even check: lesson learned.

This was NIB. All the packaging and everything appeared brand new. I have not thought about setting the gain below unity. I will have to give that a try.

I did check the other night, 0 (unity) is really close to by passed by a chord; well as close as I could tell by ear and my iPhone db meter.

s0c9 likes this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Try it and see.. there maybe no discernible difference, but I would confirm that by checking input levels on a console..

7. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    I think you are confusing two different concepts.

When metering on a digital channel, 0dB is the maximum handling of the channel before data loss (clipping). It is used as a measurement in this scenario.

In it's role in this device it is not a measurement of the systems handling, but rather indicative of the amount of boost or cut being added to the signal. 0dB just means you are not adding or subtracting gain to the signal in this scenario.

To further illustrate the case.

If you are working with a digital mixer or DAW. Your channel has a level indicator and if you hit 0dB on that indicator you get clipping. The channel also has a gain adjustment and a output fader which are measured in dB. It is possible depening on the strength of the signal being processed to add +5 or more dB of gain to the signal at either stage and still not cause your level meter indicator to hit 0dB.

And in answer to the OP's question, I set my GLX-D16 gain at 0dB and it sounds indiscernible from using a cable to my ears. I'm feeding it with a bass with an 18v active preamp and it handles it with no problem and no clipping.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Thanks, but I am aware of the distinctions and not confusing concepts.
    +20dB output level as the default gain seems high on a NIB item. That was my reference point and doesn't alter that at unity in digital systems, one should have 0dB across all devices and a +20db output level on the GLXD16 is too hot (IMHO).

9. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    I completely agree that +20dB is way hot. Mine came set to unity NIB. I was referring to the part where you told him he should set it at -3dB to -6dB because 0dB is the distortion point. In this situation it is just the no gain added point, not the distortion point. -6dB is quite a bit of cut.

s0c9 likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    point taken :)