Shure GLXD Wireless Clipping Issue

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Darren02, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Darren02

Darren02 Never stop the groove in order to find a note

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Hi all!

I dont post very often, but when I need some advice I know exactly where to go! :thumbsup:

I hope this is the right forum for this question...

I recently acquired the Shure GLXD wireless system for live use. I tend to trip on cables a LOT since I do a lot of spinning on stage, so it seemed only natural to me :)
    Anyways, Ive noticed that when playing with a pick, the GLXD audio indicator flickers, indicating clipping is occurring. I have even tried setting the gain to -20, still clipping, although obviously less than at 0.

I play a Musicman Stingray Special 5HH, with an 18v preamp so I'm assuming that has a lot to do with it. Is there any way to fix this issue? Or is it something I’ll have to deal with? Its not a huge issue, but digital clipping from a wireless system is obviously non-ideal.

For reference, i have the pots all set flat on the Musicman with a slight cut in the mids that i recompensate on an EQ later (post wireless) with a difference frequency.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated, and i apologize if this seems like a stupid question, just sorta puzzled :D

Thanks!

2. promdates

promdates

Jun 2, 2019
    Slidell, LA
    Based on the info you said, you might be coming out hot initially, which would cause clipping in the system. Might have to just play with the volume lower on the bass in that case.

Darren02 likes this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Adjust the gain level on the front right of the GLXD receiver panel perhaps?

4. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Are you talking via the DB menu? If so, i have that set at -20. Im just not sure if theres another option or not haha.

5. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Yeah, Ive been running it like that for a few days, it just seems like the bass loses some of its “Liveliness” with the volume down a bit. Maybe its just me I dont know. But i do wonder if theres a way to just lower the output of it without the knob. Ill have to look into that!

6. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Thank you guys a bunch for your help thusfar! Much appreciated :)

7. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I have the GLXD4R (rack mount) system and definitely had to turn the gain on the unit almost all the way down with all of the basses I've used with it (including several EBMM StingRay 5 basses previously).

Darren02 and s0c9 like this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I guess I should have asked which model you are using.. pedalboard or rack version..??
    But.. I believe so, yes. The level will depend on active/passive bass outputs!

9. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    I use the pedal version. Less cable runs since I run a pedalboard, with a noise gate in the FX loop of my amp head.

I lowered the pickups on the stingray a little. It seemed to help out quite a bit, but still some clipping. I might have a trim pot or something installed in the event that theres no other gain options.

s0c9 likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Use the MODE button to adjust the gain... ???
    upload_2020-1-10_11-33-31.png

Darren02 likes this.
  11. promdates

promdates

Jun 2, 2019
    Slidell, LA
    Said they've already tried the -20dB on that and it still clips. I'm assuming since it's an 18v, that the bass is sending a hotter signal than the GLXD can handle and is causing clipping.

Darren02 likes this.
  12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Saw that, but not aware of how much gain reduction the GLXD has on board!
    If it's at minimum, then totally AGREE! :thumbsup:

Darren02 likes this.
  13. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    For sure. Ill have to look into some trim pot options for the Stingray! Thanks so much for your help everyone! Much appreciated :)

14. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I play a Sterling MM Stingray and a passive Fender Jazz Bass. I also have a GLXD 14 and a GLXD 16.

My MM is only a 9v versus 18v, but I know what you're talking about. Clipping the GLXD sounds horrible.

Here is my live setup (after the GLXD): Keeley Bassist Compressor into my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 amp.

There are shows where I switch off between my MM and JB.
    Here is how I have everything setup.

- Cut the gain on the GLXD receivers so that my MM does not clip (at all). [Make sure the pickups are not too high]
    - I then use the gain my compressor to balance the input difference between the active MM and passive JB

This way, I can switch between the two guitars, and not have re-set all the dials.

From what you described in your first post, I would cut the gain down on the GLXD receiver, and then use a clean boost to and the dynamics back in.

Give that a whirl.

:bassist::bassist:

Darren02 likes this.
  15. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV

I will totally give that a shot! Maybe Ill also try lifting the pickups a touch on my P bass too to help balance the input difference, and vice versa with the Stingray. I have the Hyper Luminal compressor, so the output level knob is super transparent, which works out well for my case :)

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022