Shure PG-52 for miking bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Dec 4, 2002.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I was going to put it in the recording gear forum, but decided that since I'm looking mainly at how this mic will work with respect to use on a bass amp that this would be a better place.

So, has anyone had any experience with this microphone? Basically, from what I'm seeing at different websites and in different magazines, it runs about $120 and has a frequency response of 30hz-13khz which is great for me (4 string). Solid metal casing with internal shockmount. I went to Shure's website and it seems to be a pretty solid mic. Says it's built for kick drum and bass guitar applications.

I'm mainly wanting it to get the sound from my bass amp without always going with just the XLR out on my amp - to sort of capture my tone if you will rather than the sterile DI sound. Plus, the DI on my SWR WM10 is pre EQ or gain, and I'd like to be able to capture my tone with the EQ. It doesn't have to be some perfect Neumann studio quality mic or anything, I just want something that is quality and will deliver respectable sound to the board.

Think this is a good deal?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am not familiar with this mic. This is part of Shure's new performance line, which is a line lower in quality than the SM series. I would recommend a Shure Beta 52 for this application.
  3. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Actually A/B the Sure Beta 52 vs the AKG D112. Liked the AKG better. Had a better overall sound.
  4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I agree that both of those mics are very good, but also both are quite a bit more expensive than the PG-52 is, that's why I'm wondering about it: surely they cut costs somewhere and that doesn't necessarily bother me, it's just I wanna know what they cut the costs on - if it sounds nearly the same then I may be able to save myself a few bucks here, but if the sound is crap then I'm gonna pass on it.
  5. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I was also looking at the Shure SM57 because I've heard of a few bass players using them, but then I found out that the advertised frequency response of 40hz-15khz is actually somewhere around -10db, which is too low. If it was flat or -3db, then I'd probably just get a '57, but it's not.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you want to go just mic, IMO&E, the best bass cab mic on the planet is the EV RE20, but not everyone has one of those in their gear bag.

There is nothing wrong with using a 57. I have done plenty of times, because there isn't that much tone on the bottom anyway. But, you should also run a DI line to get a nice, clean signal to bring out the bottom end.

Use the mic channel to bring out the amp and cabinet's character. Blending the two is not hard.

This method will give you a great sound as well as a backup and more options on dialing up a good sound.

Plus it gets frequencies to the subs via DI that would have never gotten there on a mic line simply because of the limitations of your cabinet.

Nothing wrong with micing a bass cab, but it is always better to go duel.

7. Link to PG52 Response Plot

It looks like this mic is not well suited at all for electric bass. It appears to hump around 80 Hz, and then roll off fairly rapidly down to 30 Hz. Maybe it will sound like an Eden XLT??
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've heard some real positive comments from sound guy on the Audio Technica ATM25. It's about $50 cheaper than the Beta 52 and the AKG D112.

Also, these mics show up on Ebay quite often.
  9. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    That is looking like a pretty nice mic to me - and it only runs about $20 more than what I'm currently looking at. I'm showing $140 at American Musical, so I'm assuming I could probably find one slightly cheaper yet. I'll look into it, thanks. Keep the suggestions rolling.

Audio-Technica also makes a PRO-25, but I think that may be their cheaper line. Any experiences with it?