Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shure SM-58 vs Audix OM-5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lo-end, Feb 20, 2002.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Hey, I was looking for a new microphone for use in my band and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Shure SM-58 and the Audix OM-5. I've heard very good things about both. I've heard that the OM-5 has better specs but isn't as reliable as the SM-58 which is legendary for its reliability or something like that. I also know that the Audix costs a little bit more $$$.

Could you guys compare and contrast these two mics for me? Thanks.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    We have both in my band, the Audix compares very favorably with the sm-58. In fact, it's a little better to my ears (and the analysis capabilities of Wavelab). That said, the SM-58 is OLD. The guitarist has had it for YEARS and he beats equipment. There both good.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I would go with the 58. While the Audix OM-5 might sound a little better, it won't do you any good when it stops working. There is a reason why the Shure SM-58/57 is the industry standard when it comes to live mics.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Although we have had two Audix for three years that have always performed flawlessly.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well I dont think durability should be an issue here. Our singer Mike is very neat and takes good care of his equipment. He has this ancient hollowbody guitar that he plays and he always keeps it in the case and takes good care of it. There isn't a scratch on the thing. I think he'd be able to maintain the Audix mic pretty well.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Blisshead, I'm glad to hear your Audix mics are still working. It's just that I've heard a lot of stories about Audix mics crapping out, and lots of stories about how SM-58's last forever.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Oh I know, I didn't mean it as a direct contradiction or anything, just another bit of anecdotal evidence for him to put in the pile of stuff to consider when buying the microphone. I agree with you, the SM-58's are nigh invulnerable!

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    well I've heard a lot of stories about SM58s denting easily...