Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shure ULX ,Standard or Pro ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by larrytron, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Hi, I want to get a wireless system and the Shure ULX series seems to be the best on the market(since X-wire got down...:( )
    I just want to know if you guys use the ULX S4 as receiver. The ULX P4 is quite expensive. So I want to know if the S4 would do the job to get low end on 5 strings and good highs for slap and pops?
    Cheers!

Larry

2. I myself own the P4. It works great on both my 4 strings, and my 5 stringer. I've even used it in another room with the door shut. Still worked without a hitch. I'd definitely recommend it. Though it looks like the differences between the P4 and S4 are marginal, from what I've read.

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    OK, digging this up as I am thinking about ordering one. I have two questions, mainly for the ULXS:
    1) Do you choose the frequency yourself or does it automatically choose the best one? I need to know this because I'm thinking of buying it from the US and I want to know if I'll be able to choose only the frequencies that are legal in Greece.
    2) IIRC, the receiver runs at 12-18V.. You can use an ordinary DC adaptor, right? Because it will come with an adaptor for 110V and we have 220 here...
    Of course, more opinions on the topic are much appreciated.

4. Well, are you willing to wait a little bit? Audio Technica will be introducing a new wireless to the market towards the end of the year. The design being that you can have a headset mic, your guitar, and stereo in-ear monitors ALL RUNNING THROUGH ONE BODY PACK!!:eek:

Looks like it's gonna run in the $1500 to $2000 market, but for live shows it will be BEYOND important. And the body pack, while a little larger, is just about normal sized and weight. VERY cool.

If that's not your deal, then I suggest going with one of the higher-end Sennheiser systems. Same reliability, same range, but everything is made of metal, and it has more availible frequencies.

Rock on
    Eric

5. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    That sounds great but it's much more than I intend to give.. I can get the ULXP for $700 shipped (or the ULXS for $600). For the same money I can get a Sennheiser EW172 G2, but I read here that they are real battery-eaters and it also goes down to 40hz, while the shure goes down to 25hz. I use my B string a lot, that's why I'm focusing on the ulx..

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ULXS is all you need. The extra features on the ULXP aren't really that useful. You set the frequencies yourself. DO NOT buy a ULX system before you call Northern Sound and Light to get a price. You will be surprised.

7. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I've done my homework on older threads and your posts and I've already sent them an email :smug:
    Yes, the price was very impressive ($480 for the ULXS, $612 for the ULXP) and I was initially only considering the ULXS but the prices are so close and, with the rack kit for the S, it would only be like a hundred bucks... Dunno though, if you still think that I won't use any of the extra features then I'll go with the S.

How about the adaptor question? I can't imagine there would be a problem with an ordinary adaptor, just making things sure..

8. You should be able to get the 372 for that price. GC has the 172 for around $350. And the 372 uses AA batteries, so they don't eat up as fast.

Rock on
    Eric