1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shuttle 3.0-8T Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McBassist, Sep 27, 2008.

1. McBassist

McBassist

Aug 24, 2005
    Hey - Just got a Shuttle 175W 8" combo to make rock band practice easy, but I fear it won't cut it. My old 60 watt 15" combo was a beast to move, but it's a good deal louder than the Shuttle, though the Shuttle sounds much nicer.

I read some FAQ sticky (though I can't find it now) that doubling your speakers makes loudness go up by a factor of four. Does this apply to speaker size as well? (I basically halved my speaker size and lost a lot of volume)

Long story longer - if I buy a 8" extension cab, will my two 8" speakers equal a 16" speaker and then be as loud as my 15" speaker? - Thanks, McB

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    There's a real limit on what an 8" speaker can do. If you need high volume you'd better look elsewhere IMO. I think it would take 4 - 8 inchers to get you in the ballpark of a 15" as far as speaker cone area. (please correct me if I'm wrong, somebody) Doubling your speakers gets you 3db.

That being said, I love the sound of the little bugger.:)

3. texasgreg

texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Austintacious
    Several options. If it is possible to leave some gear at your rehearsal space, get a 15 cab and leave it there and use that as your extension.

Othewise, what about running through your PA?