1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shuttle 6.0/210 vs Boogie Walkabout 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMStingRay, Mar 16, 2008.

GB vs Boogie

Poll closed Mar 19, 2008.
  1. Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/210 combo

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Boogie Walkabout 15"

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/NeoX212

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Drove an hour to get to a dealer with a GB who also has Boogie. It was worth the trip.:hyper:

The Shuttle 210 combo was a bad little dude! I don't care for the mounting system GB is using or the cable being pushed through a hole on top of the cab. But that didn't stop the little 210 from rocking. My drummer said he could feel shaking his pants at low volumes from ten feel away and anything that makes a funny feeling in his pants from ten feet, must be good!
    I tried the head on a powerhouse 212 and it didn't sound as good as it does on the GB cab. (IMO) I want to try the NEOx212 which they didn't have. If they would have I'd be $1400 lighter today.:D
    I also tried a Walkabout with a 15. The first I've seen around. Hate to say this but I think the Boogie was stronger and had the GB beat in tone. Not the walkabout 12, it was kinda poopy next to the GB210 combo.:ninja:
    I need to compare the walkabout 15 to the Shuttle 6.0 w/Neox212. Anyone done this yet? I'm still liking the GB because it's not a "combo" and can be used with extra cabs where as the Boogie is want it is. But their both top notch gear without a doubt.

2. Actually, the Walkabout head can be removed from the Scout 12/15 combo for use as a standalone head. While you do have to remove some screws, it's not a big deal. The Scout 115 and 112 extension cabs do not have the 'docking port' for the heads, but the 115 and 112 Scout combo cabs allow for the head to be removed... very cool. They also come with high quality covers that easily fit over the 'cube design'. Not sure how to get a cover to fit the Genz Shuttle combo's.

I've never heard ANY hybrid head that can touch the Walkabout for true, vintage type tone, and a very realistic emulation of an all tube amp. The 115 Scout is KILLER, and both the Scout 112 and 115 speaker cabs sound amazing to me. With the interesting porting (standard and passive radiator) and the unique variable crossover that can go from grind to sizzle, the Scout stuff is top notch IMO!

Regarding a 112 versus a 210, that's not surprising.. most 210 cabs have more ooomph than a single 112.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    The GB NEOX 212 is a monster sounding cab.
    I'm using e today with a GBE1200 and it's insanely good sounding rig.
    I tried it with the 6.0 on top the other day. Like a Poodles head on a Great Dane's body, but as pissed off as a Pit Bull. Another crazy good combination.
    And LOUD.

I'm using the 1200/212 in a 1500 seat room here at church, and I was asked to turn down. Twice.
    The 212 just throws and fills the room as well as ANY 410 I've ever heard.
    Our FOH guy loves the sound of the head/cab, but says the cab throws too much. He could pull me out of the mains if he wanted. And this is a 1500 seat room with a balcony.

GB is making some great stuff. Well, for that matter, a lot of companies are making great gear. Just need to pick your flavor.

4. +1.. I would think the primary decision between the hybrid Mesa and hybrid Genz would be based on how much 'tube' tone you are looking for... a more modern hybrid tone (i.e., Eden-ish), or that old school tubey thing that the Mesa does so well. Obviously, with the Shuttle vs. Walkabout, price and weight also comes into play, although the 115 Scout is surprisingly lightweight for the ooomph it puts out.

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I used my Genz Shuttle 6.o on a gig a gig today... House sound guy was grammy winner tim kimsey.. he knows his stuff... he Loved the DI out of Shuttle 6.0..... I usually use my REDDI tube DI with him.. but he was very happy.... The amp is also very warm yet articulate and musical for my taste... Its LOUD too.. but good Loud... But i had to report on the DI out...
    Its also light enough and small enough to fit in the front pocket of many gig bags..
    and somehow the amp though spoeakers has an old school sort of sound

6. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    I'm jones'in to play the 6.0 through the NeoX212. I think the 210 combo would cover a normal bar room or any stag with pa support.
    I got a buddy trying to talk me into just replacing my current 410 with the SVT-410HLF which is a nice sounding cab but heavy and I really think the the NeoX212 may give it a run for the money.:bassist:

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The Walkabout is a really, really cool head! If you want to get as close to vintage tube as possible in a lightweight, gigging head, IMO that is it.

The Neo-pak I have is quite warm if you set it up right. It's not quite as cushy as the Walkabout. The Shuttle 6.0 by most accounts is the same, but with more power, and may be your best option if you need more power than the Walkabout and don't mind the slightly lessened tube character.

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    This is a useful thread, thanks, guys. I have the Walkabout head with both the 12 and 15 combo cabs, and quite happy. (Yep, I feel lucky.:)) The Genz stuff intrigues me, especially with its great rep, but I'm all about the old-school vintage tone. (I eventually want an all-tube head.) So I don't think GB is for me, as high-quality as it certainly must be.

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    can you tell me what dealer you visited? I'd like to try and get a Neox-212T out there.

Regards,

10. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    They only had the Shuttle 6.0 210t combo. No Neox212's in stock or I'd most likly have it now. Sorry...