1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shuttle 6.0 and Output Clipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bucephylus, Apr 11, 2009.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Those who have followed the various discussions on the Shuttle have seen a number of discussions regarding output clipping at higher output levels. I recently noticed something about this characteristic that I find interesting.

My experience with the output clipping issue occurred with a Southern Rock act at a somewhat higher volume gig, which required cranking the bass amp. I was using a stack consisting of a Flite 4x8 (8 ohm) on top of a Epifani PS112 (8 ohm). This stack has really cool tone, but the Flite drivers are NEAR spiderless construction, and they are pretty inefficient. The need to drive the amp was kind of a last minute supriise, and I would have otherwise taken more firepower. Anyhow, I experienced hard output clipping with the Master Volume set at about noon, and everything else correctly adjusted.

Anyhow, the next day, I reproduced the clipping at home. So, that seems to be a constant with that speaker set.

So, more recently I have been playing the Shuttle through my stack of Tech CT212's. These are VERY efficient speakers. IIRC, one of the selling points when they came out was that a 1/4 watt transistor radio could drive them fully. Anyhow, something like that. So, what I am finding with the Tech's is that I can't even get the Shuttle to clip on the output. At all.

That suggests to me that a 4 ohm load is not just a 4 ohm load to the Shuttle output circuitry. There must be more to it. Anyone else notice this behavior?