1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 6.0 and two 8 Ohm Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron_D, May 11, 2010.

1. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    I currently have the Shuttle 6.0 and an Ampeg BXT 8 ohm 410 cab.

I want to get the full 600 from this baby so Im wondering if I should trade for a 410 4-Ohm cab or add an additional 8 Ohm cabto use with my existing one.

Im just sort of wondering if I should a 15"er or another 4x10? Those seems a little overkill, but yeah. Any advice or opinions on the matter?'

I almost feel like I should downsize to a 210 4 ohm cab. Would that be loud enough for medium size venues? We are a country band and our stage volume isnt too loud.

2. It is unfortunately not that simple. If you are talking about two otherwise identical cabs that are large enough to use the extra power (e.g., the same 410 as you have now, but in 4ohm version), then, yes, taking a moderately powered solid state amp up to its full power will get you a couple db more in absolute volume (very noticable), and a less compressed, more open low end.

However, that is kind of an unusual case. For example, with a little 210 that can probably be driven to full volume with 300 watts, 8ohm versus 4ohm won't make much difference, and more drivers (your 8ohm 410) will typicall 'beat' more power into less drivers.

Finally, cab design and SPL make a huge difference. If you get a different 410 cab that is 4ohm, but has a lower SPL design, you might not hear any volume difference at all.

So, in summary, if you dig the sound of your 410, and can get the same model in 4ohms, that would IMO be well worth it (assuming your head is running out of headroom at 8ohms. It won't be 'night and day', but you will notice it when you really start to push the volume.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    If you need a smaller rig. trade out your cab and get one 4 ohm cab... if you need more speaker surface to do louder volume gigs.. get an additional 8 ohm cab... for more volume it is better to add speakers...
    I would add another 410 instead of a 15 cab.. but that is just my likes

4. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hmmm...Im now wondering if I should just sell the shuttle 6.0. I was using the SWR sm-400 head with the cab, and while my sound was good, I got a case of the GAS and got the shuttle on a whim and thought the 600 watts was > 400 from my SWR head. Now I realize my cab is 8 ohms and would only juice the shuttle for 375 watts. Hmmm decisions, decisions. Does any of this change you guys's suggestions?

5. That SWR head is also voiced so much deeper than the Shuttle that you are really hearing a different tone all together. My guess is, the Shuttle is probably almost just as loud, but much more attenuated in the low end.

That being said, a moderately powered solid state amp running at 8ohms into a large cab doesn't really make a ton of sense to me. If you dig the tigher, brighter tone of the Shuttle 6, then you might just want to get a different cab (i.e., a different 4ohm 410). The other option is to swap it for a Shuttle 9, which has more power into 8ohms and has a more fuller, deeper low end in general.

6. robertusf

robertusf

Jul 19, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I have a Genz Benz and Ampeg Bxt 210 and 115. I love the combination!

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Choose the amp you like the tone of, bearing in mind that the difference between 300 watts and 500 watts is minimal. An 8 ohm 4x10 makes sense if it's paired with another one, identical. Otherwise, not so much. But a 4 ohm 2x10 will NOT get you more volume. As already stated, volume requires more drivers, not more wattage. Lastly, never skimp on your speakers, they are the thing that provides your sound.

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I play in the typical weekend warrior "classic rock" band; I use a NEOX212t with my shuttle 6.0 and a P bass for the most part. During our last outdoor gig the sound guy kept telling me to turn it down and we all play a pretty loud. I wasn't pushing it at all. A 4 ohm 2x10 you like that cuts through the mix would probably do the job as well.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    On the one hand you want to get more power out of the amp, which will give at best a perfunctory increase in volume, if any at all. On the other hand you want to downsize the cab, which will give a major reduction in output. :confused:

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I'd say keep what you have... Why do you want to change at all? I have a 6.0.. I have two 212 cabs.. that I do not use together as one is a 4 ohm that I gig with and the other is an 8 ohm that I leave at the church I play at. My original cab was the 4 ohm1212L .... When the amp at my church died I didnt want to have to schlepp my 1212L to church every Sunday and I also wanted to get more use out of my 6.0 .. and I came across a decent deal on an Avatar B212 that was 8 ohm.. so I jumped on that. When I gig I use the Schro.. I may eventually sell it though and just get another 8 ohm cab and if the need arises use both cabs together.. To tell the truth I have not seem much difference in sound between the Schro & the Avatar as far as sheer volume goes... I guess that is partly because they are both 212s...... If I were in your shoes.. I'd drop the Ampeg 410 anyway.. at 122lbs it makes me say OUCH!!! But if that is not an issue for you then.. The Avatar 410 Neo is 65lbs & $450. Basically I'd say if you are happy with the sound you are getting and your current rig does it well.. then don't change it.. If you do change it an 8 ohm cab will give you more flexibilty and you wont sacrifice too much in sound... an 8 ohm 410 wont be too much different from a 4 ohm one... at least that's my take.. I could be wrong of course.. the main benefit of using an 8 ohm cab in your case would be so you could add another cab later if the need arose.... I'd say if you downsized to a 210 consider an 8 ohm 210... or two... or an 210 & a 115. I have read here that it is best to match cabs with the same cab... but I know a lot of bass players who are perfectly happy with their 210/15 setup.. You said your stage volume isn't that loud... but the 8 ohm setup would give you more flexibility IMO.. If I had it to do all over I'd go the 8 ohm route..