1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shuttle 6.0 fan whine?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rp911, Apr 9, 2009.

1. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    I just bought a Shuttle 6.0/210 combo, which is terrific, love the tone, plenty of power for my needs, etc. ... only gripe is the short fixed cabinet cord which makes it impossible to use with my AI Focus 2R head (although the Shuttle smokes it, to be honest, at least for electric bass).

However, I am getting a high-pitched whine from the fan, not through the speakers (I unplugged the cabinet), through the housing. (It's a high F, if it matters :meh:)

It's not super loud, but it is audible and not great for a quiet studio setting. Not sure if this is normal behavior, but a search didn't turn up anything on it. Thoughts?

TIA

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I doubt it's the fan, they don't spin that fast. Most likely a singing transformer or coil. You could test it by just poking something into the fan to stop it from rotating.
    Good news is you can't beat GB for support, even for problems that would be just annoyances. Give them a call, they won't be annoyed.

3. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    +1

BEST support in the business! The fan in my Shuttle was a little loud but it was not a whine.

4. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    Hmmm. I noticed that taking the bolts off the "handle" on the cabinet and moving the head back and forth a little would stop it, but I'm assuming that's because the fan vents were being blocked by the handle, muffling the whine. Taking the head out completely, it whines, as well. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Here's something to try first. With the amp out of the combo saddle, try loosening the 4 fan screws just a little bit. We have occasionally seen one screw just a little bit too tight or a head that may have taken a shipping fall and the fan slipped slightly. What this does is just barely warp the fan housing and can cause this noise. It has nothing to do with any particular amp, but with the fan itself. It can happen with all brands and models of amps that use DC brushless fans, just a quirk with that kind of part.

Let me know if this solves the problem. I'll give it a 90% chance.

6. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    Will do and report back ... thank you!

7. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    Didn't seem to make much difference, although maybe it's not as loud as before. I might just need to get used to the fan noise a bit. I'm in a quiet studio, might not even notice it at a gig.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The fan should be barely audible standing say 6 feet in front of the amp in a quiet room. The nature of getting 600 watts out of a sub-compact chassis AND maintaining adequate thermal headroom for a touring duty amp requires good air flow over critical componets. While the amp may work ok in a studio setting or bedroom without a fan, our products are designed to be played live on 100+ degree stages all day long. We can't compromise on this aspect of performance, even if this means there might be a small amount of acoustic fan noise. It's down in the low 30's dBa, which is quieter than most bass pickups in practice. Some noise you may be hearing is the turbulance ofthe air flowing over the moving parts and some may be the effects of cavity resonance due to the mechanical movement resonating with the chassis which is essentially a cavity.

PM me and I'll give you a couple of simple, practical tests you can do to determine if the fan noise exceeds the design limits.

9. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    Dear agedhorse

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but I have problems with the noise of my Shuttle 6.0. I like the sound of it but I play in high-dynamic contemporary jazz settings, and silence is what i need between notes...

I sent it under warranty, and it came back a little quieter, but still noisy-ish. I am very interested to see the list of tests to do that you propose in the last post, and also if there is a way to install a thermostatic fan as a mod.

To give an example, I have 2 eden wt400 which fans rarely go on full speed (and when they do, it is because I have been naughty ;-)

I checked other threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8191716
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7932413

and you warn against changing the fan and unscrewing it to sort the problem... any more hints before I get into trouble?

thanks

pa

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    It is not possible to add temperature control to this product. There's a lot that goes into tracking multiple thermal curves on these compact products and the fan speed, air flow and static pressure are all designed in the context of the multiple points of thermal load within the amp's internal circuitry.

From say 4-6 feet away, the noise should be just barely audible to somebody with average hearing. For many, it will not be audible. The noise floor with your bas plugged in should be at just about the same level, to put it in context.

11. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    Dear Agedhorse

I never play that amp at more than 9 o'clock on the main out, with nominal level in the preamp (saturating light flickers when I hit FFF on my low b)

in these condition, I can hear the fan clearly in the tail of my long notes (and the noise floor of my bass is quasi-inexistant)

Maybe the problem is that the amp is too powerful for my needs and the fan noise is disproportionate as I underride the amp? Shuttle 3 is not my sound though..

thank you very much for your help

pa

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Give Jeff a call at the factory, maybe Scott can take another look at your amp to see if there's something he can do. YOuwill need to get an RA number so that you can send it in.

13. tremblap

tremblap

Aug 6, 2007
    Huddersfield
    Thanks for this, I am in Europe so will contact my distributor again...