1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 6.0 Problem: Shrill Noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by e. boon, Mar 16, 2009.

1. e. boon

e. boon

Sep 10, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Hey Everyone,

Bought my Shuttle 6.0 back in October, and I continue to have a peculiar problem that I was not able to find advice on anywhere else in the forums. If there are other threads that address this specific issue, please link them.

My bass has passive pickups, and from what I can tell a very low output. Therefore, I usually am just trying to get as much volume from my cab as possible. I've experimented with different amounts of gain/volume on the preamp paired with different amounts of master volume. Sometimes when I have everything turned up pretty high, this results in the amp letting out a horrific high pitched noise with the protect light coming on. Turning the gain and/or volume down makes it stop. It always happens as I'm working with/facing the amp, which could just be a coincidence since it takes place when I'm turning things up. Could this be feedback that I am experiencing, or is the unit malfunctioning? Has anyone heard of/experienced this before?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Probably feedback if your bass is plugged in and turned on and you stand next to the cab.

3. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    This is most likely feedback. The fact that it only happens when you re close to the amp and facing it supports this.It could be a loose winding in a pickup. Maybe your bass is incorrectly wired, creating greater opportunity for feedback. You don't specify what kind of bass/pickups you use, but most passive basses have plenty of output.

I doubt your problem is the amp.

Good luck!

4. e. boon

e. boon

Sep 10, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    hmm. thanks guys. the bass is a ric 4003, but feedback is common even with solid bodies?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It is if you crank it up all the way. Solidbodies are better at not getting feedback than hollowbodies, but they'll still feedback if you abuse your volume.

6. IMO I think it's more likely to be electronic interference from the amp effecting the Ric single coil pickup. If so- move away from the amp (and any other elec. equipment) and see if it gets better.

Sounds as though somethings not right. I think your bass might have shielding issues. I have a 4001 and a shuttle and it doesn't do that. You might also want to try the shuttle with a different bass just to isolate the problem.

7. e. boon

e. boon

Sep 10, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you, Vin*tone. Your feedback is very helpful! It def. seems like it's not feedback, it doesn't sound like feedback, and I am not 'abusing' my volume, as I am not necessarily loud or audible when it happens. Will let you know how it goes.

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Feedback sounds likely here... your pickups can be causing that just as a microphone would if you pointed it into a speaker.. some pickups are less likely to feedback depending on their assembly process... the coils on pickups are usually potted with a wax formula or epoxy but if there are air gaps in the coil or loose winding ,,feedback is more likely to happen

9. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    have you tried swapping the tube in the amp?

10. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    This SURE sounds like feedback to me but just in case, read on.

Just a couple of thoughts.....

Do you have the head sitting on top of the cab? Could be a vibration shaking something in the head it if you're pushing the cab hard.

My other thought would be maybe you have a "microphonic" pre amp tube in there.

Cab vibrations and / or high gain settings could cause the tube to go microphonic causing a high pitched squeal or pinging of sorts. My 6.0 did that but not as loud as you describe and the pre amp tube was the culprit. Pulled out the Ruby and tossed a new JJ in there and no more problems.

I would also pull the PG on the Ricky and see if any of the wiring is bad just to rule that out.

I know this sounds dumb, but have you checked all your cords? I can't tell you how many times wierd stuff turns out to be just a bad connection somewhere in the chain. It's gotten me more than once. :)

BTW - you should be able to use the mute button on the Shuttle to kill the volume when tuning.

Keep Low :bassist:

11. e. boon

e. boon

Sep 10, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you thank you thank you! This is all great advice. Gonna work on this today and will let you know.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This sounds like a classic case of feedback. The causes can be a mechanical deficiency in the pickup (magnet/coil loose, touching the shell, void in the potting compound, etc), exceeding the available gain before feedback, etc.

The reason why the amp goes into protect is that this is not a normal signal to reproduce at "full power" and we intentionally shut the amp down to protect the amp and your speakers.

Have you tried the amp with a different bass? Have you tried turning down a bit? By any chance are you using a compressor too?

It's extremely unlikely that it's any kind of electronic interference, the radiated emissions on our products are extremely low (roughly 1/4 to 1/10 the legal level), and at a frequency way beyond what the inductive single coil pickup could even couple to.

Try a different bass and see if this changes things.