1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 6.0 vs. LM II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jzucker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone do direct comparisons?

I love the LMII but dislike it's tone shaping controls. I'd also be interested if the preamp tube in the shuttle contributes to it recording better (direct)

thoughts?

Please don't respond in a negative or politically motivated way. If you have an axe to grind, take it to another thread. I'd like to know true pros and cons of each.

FWIW, I've had a LMII for around a year and love it other than the issues I mentioned above.

2. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I was really surprised at the sweet tone of the Shuttle when plugged direct in to my Zoom HD8 multitrack. Yea the tube gives the tone just a little modern dirt, but doesn't distort. You can control how hard you push the tube. I think the Shuttle sounds fantastic coming through my monitors when going direct in. Great for recording!! A very versatile amp. It's got a subtle modern vibe if ya ask me. It definitely doesn't sound anything like a vintage Ampeg. Personally I thought it was a bit close to Eden Nemisis in tone.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    There is a huge thread comparing these two amps. Might want to do a search. That said I have both amps and though the features of the shuttle are far better, the clean power of the LMII puts it over the edge to me for my particular tone goals. Both great amps try them both for yourself if you are so inclined.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've missed your pointless hostility, Zucker. Nice to see you again ;)

Can't tell you if the tube makes a difference in recording, but I must admit that I've heard tubes in other preamps make more of a difference than the tube in the Shuttle.

5. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i've seen some of the megathreads. They seem to be dominated by bickering. I'm hoping to get a non-political summary here. Also, as stated, i've owned the LM II for a year. Just looking for some specific improvements. I agree that for clean power, you can't beat it.

6. I too am looking for comparisons by owners of both.

I am leaning towards the shuttle if I can get closer to a vintage sound with it. Some have said that the LMII was a bit "warmer" even without the tube pre.

I do like the feature set better on the Shuttle and I am pretty good a coaxing my tone out of most amps. I would just like the starting point to be closer to vintage than modern.

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    anyone have any direct recording samples?

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Not sure what thread you were reading. No bickering at all there, and it has all the information you need.