1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 6.0 vs. LM2 (a recapitulation and musing)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Oct 6, 2009.

1. I've had the LM2 for a few years now. I picked up a 6.0 when they first hit the market, and I foolishly sold it soon thereafter. At the time it seemed redundant to have both.

I recently picked up another 6.0 in trade (from a cool TB'er).

In acquiring another 6.0, I'm delighted at how it brings something different to the table than the LM2.

I am generally in agreement with the consensus opinions of these two amps. To me, the 6.0 is more crispy/hi-fi, defined, and "interesting" sounding than the LM2. The LM2 sounds fantastic, and it's strength seems to be in a full-bodied, transparent tone. I prefer the 6.0 EQ options, but I find the LM2 more "plug and play".

Different products, different flavors. Love them both. And there are plenty more flavors to choose from.

But I'm wondering...what's next? We've seen an incredible proliferation of bass amp improvements in the last 20 years.

And now these two same companies have 800-900W products with essentially the same form factor. And while I think Markbass has introduced very logical improvements to their existing stable, I haven't heard anything that would warrant an investment in an upgrade (jury still out on the 9.0). I mean this in a very positive sense; the LM2 is just a great amp that's hard to improve upon.

So, spoiled as I am, I'm musing about...what's next? Smaller/lighter is moot. Sure we could bump up the wattage, but it's already a diminishing return for most of us. The customer service of most of these companies kicks butt. The prices are way, way cheaper than amps of the past.

Where is the next quantum leap? :hyper:

Or have we reached a saturation point of goodness? (not a bad place to be!).

2. Well, the Walter Woods I bought almost 9 years ago was 7 pounds and 1200 watts. I think the main improvement we've seen between then and now is that you can get an even smaller, lighter form factor with a bunch of watts for a fraction of that cost.

The Markbass F500 seems to be the 'top of the heap' to me at this point in the 'price/value/features/wump/tone' area. It is a significant jump from the amazing F1, given the better DI, the semiparametric mids, and other features, in a tiny form factor.

The Momark thing is interesting, but IMO, it will be a distant memory in a couple of years. However, the TC RH450 seems to be an early version of the 'next generation' to me (i.e., programmable tonal variation, versus the physical module swapping of the Momark). I was a bit put off, like many TBers, from their over the top marketing introduction. But darn it if the head doesn't totally kill. The design is unique, and my guess is, the next round of this type of thing will have higher power, more in-depth user programmable functions, and even more features. Pretty amazing to me. And, it's not that cheezy 'modeling' sort of thing that also seems to be a dead end.

Anyway, all good stuff.

3. Was hoping to hear from you on this one ;)

Agree, on WW. Let's give it up again for him being way ahead of his time. Agree it wasn't exactly affordable though.

I would probably disagree with you on the F500 being a "significant" improvement over the F1. At least relative to the big improvements we've seen in the last 10 years.

You are making a point I had in the back of my mind. Volume, price, size/weight are getting very hard to improve upon.

So...tonal varieties and integrated features.

• Integrated w/ excellent PC/Mac software via USB for tonal creation and downloads
    • Highly useable, non-cheesy sounds (stock and custom)
    • Integrated tuner and wireless

I agree on cheezy modeling. P-U. And the Boss/POD stuff has had it's place, but it's way overdue for a quantum leap.

4. +1 There are hints with the TC stuff that eventually there will be easy user programmable functions regarding tube emulation parameters, compressor specs, full parametric EQ, computer interfaces, 'studio inspired' knobs and functions, etc.

The integrated, top of the line multi-band compressor and excellent tuner, along with VERY easy to use semi-parametric tone controls and three easy to use memories (they work just like storing a station with a car radio) really does seem to be the start of something very interesting.

Also, power amp limiting is coming a long way. I know the Genz guys talk about their 'tube emulation' thing with their power amp limiting, but I just don't hear it. But MAN, the power section and limiting design of the RH450 is really something, and I have a feeling there is much room for improvement on that also.

Even the 'studio effect' 360 degree pots seem to be a step forward, with the LED indicators of position. Nice stuff.

Edit: +1 on your pushback of my comment on the F500. That was my own bias creeping in regarding MB fixing the few negatives on my favorite amp of all time, the F1. I still feel, though, that the F500 is about as good as a 'traditional' amp design can get at this point (assuming you like clean, quick and relatively 'flat/transparent').

5. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Wow. I always thought you preferred the TecAmp to the F1/F500. But maybe I haven't been following your posts closely enough.

Is it your favorite amp, considering how good value it is, or is it your favourite amp period?

6. Favo(u)rite period. ;)

7. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    What can I say? I grew up with British spelling conventions, but went to school in the US.

: )

8. I'd love to hear the RH450.

I was hoping to like the Shuttle. On paper it looks great but I was a little disappointed by its HiFi-ness. I played an SVT3 Pro afterwards and it just felt like home again.
    My quest for lightweight joy continues.

9. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Don't forget "upload to youtube" button. Yea, they'll be wifi capable too!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know what the future holds for these micro amps, but I can tell you it involves blue LED's :eek:

Isn't it too soon in their development to get so jaded over them? Was it not quantum enough? I'm still pretty impressed. I don't get all caught up in the hoopla, though. My LMII will do me fine for quite a while. But the first company that puts out a 1/2 lb. 300w head that fits in your pocket or tapes to your strap, runs 12 hrs on a rechargeable battery, sounds like an SVT, and plugs into the cab by wireless will be the next company to get my money ;)

11. I like them both a lot. I would have to say the F500 is my favorite amp period due to the very small size, the very high output, the quality, the features, and the aggressive but clean tone that just seems to make my J Basses shine. The F500 is a somewhat recent acquisition. With the semi-parametric mids that allow me to move that low mid control down a touch, and the other improvements, the F500 has become a 'perfect F1' to me!

I love the Puma500 too (I have two of them!). Very different sounding (smoother, fatter, more hi fi up top)! Different but still 'at the top of category' performance from both of these amps IMO.

12. IMO, if you like the SVT3Pro, you will LOVE the RH450!

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I owned and sold a Shuttle 6.0 earlier this year. I just picked up a LMII signature. Hands down it's the LMII for me. I find it louder, deeper and punchier. I even tried changing the tube, but couldn't dial in a tone I really liked on the shuttle.

14. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    No doubt. Another bass player at much church finally had his SVT3pro go out on him after many many years. He replaced it with an SVT-CP since he had an old poweramp he could use with it. He played through my RH450 this past weekend and was dying over how it sounded and felt. I helped him set it up for the Ampeg-like tone he wants before the service, and he was in heaven.

(I say I set it up. I pushed a button that recalled all the settings I had already programmed in, and just adjusted the gain for his bass.)

15. Who said anything about being jaded or unimpressed? :eyebrow: