1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 6 Headphone problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MX21, Mar 12, 2009.

1. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have a Shuttle 6 and usually practice with a pair of 112 cabs. I went to use headphones for the first time so I wouldn't disturb the family while practicing. Plugging in the headphones didn't disable the speaker output. Both headphones and speakers operated at the same time. I ended up having to completely disconnect both speakers. Is this a problem with my unit? Shouldn't plugging in headphones disable the speakers (like most other audio equipment I have does)?

MX

2. Badbear79

Badbear79

Nov 25, 2008
    Santa Rosa
    Just tested mine, it did the same thing so its not broken.

3. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Mine does it too so I suspect it is normal. It kinda makes sense to me - you need someway to control the volume of the headphones and the volume knob is the most convenient (without adding another knob). I wanted to say it is in the manual but I couldn't find a description of the operation.

4. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    oh, and the mute button affects the headphones too

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    that is normal.. you should unplug your speakers if you only want to run the heaphone output...

6. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA

Bummer. I usually practice with the speakers plugged in. It's hard to get time to practice, so when I do, I don't want to spend time uncabling things when I need to practice silently. :(

Genz-Benz Guys: suggestion for possible improvement here. Make it so that the speaker output is disabled when I plug the headphones in. Or maybe another switch/jumper to select that as an option.

MX

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The speaker must be unplugged due to the nature of the amplifier type and power level involved. We are actually using the power amplifier stage to drive the headphones (after a suitable matching network) in order to utilize the amplifier output stage tube emulation limiting which makes the amp respond more like it would when using it with a speaker. There is just no more room for additional switches and controls either, it's a tradeoff of benefit versus convenience. The output limiting and emulation circuiutry really does make a big difference in the response and feel of the amp, even (or especially) through cans.

8. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yes, I looked at the schematic and see that the headphones are driven right off the main power amp. So I see why things are they way they are.

I had my cabs each plugged into the shuttle. I'll change it so that the cabs are chained so there's only one speakon to unplug from the shuttle when I want to use headphones.

Still a great amp.

Thanks,

MX

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's not that a big a deal to unplug a couple things. Can't have everything, right?