1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttle 6 or 9 with barefaced?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gafbass02, Sep 18, 2010.

1. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    I've done quite a bit of research and have shifted myself from the 6 to the 9 having read that the 6 seems underpowered (I'm coming from a little mark 2) so I def don't want to loose volume. Also I'm really want clean power, I prefer to add drive myself. Crucially the amp HAS to be lighter than the LM2 (!) I like a punchy tone that's quite hifi. Think Bill Gould (meets cass Lewis!)
    The 9 is really more than I can afford but this amp will gave to last a loooong time! So should I grit my teeth for the 9 or will the 6 do ? I've heard it lacks bass (bad!) I prefer to eq less to save power but my barefaced cabs seem to prefer being eq'd. Any thoughts folks?

2. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Hold out for the 9 just in case you need the power. There is a very reasonably priced one in the classifieds here...not mine.

3. RColie

RColie Gold Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I have both the 6.0 and the 9.0. You'll find hundreds of posts on TalkBass about both of these amps and how they compare. With the controls flat the 9.0 has a bit more bass extension, and the extra power seems to make it sound more so. However the 6.0 can be EQ'd to sound very much like the 9.0.

I'm currently researching the BareFaced cabinets, and my impression is that they like a lot of power. With that in mind, I would strongly recommend the 9.0 to provide plenty of headroom.

Good luck!

Bob

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    The Shuttle 9 is a very well executed tone machine.. I use it on small gigs and larger ones with an 810. .Massive headroom and if you want , it has a much larger low end than the 6.. Great amp and it is my main amp these days..
    The 6 is also great but i like headroom so I got the 9..

5. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Thanks. 9 seems to be the case, I can't buy from the classifieds I'm afraid cause I'm UK. Cheers for the help folks.

6. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    To add to the confusion I've just discovered the EA iamp micro 550. What about one of those? They seem very light but i don't want to loose power against the little mark 2. Also perhaps more for upright bass than funk rock and pop?

7. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Anyone?

8. That little EA amp isn't even in the same universe volume-wise as the others you are considering. Mark it off your list IMO.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I agree. Between the Shuttle 6 and 9, IME the 9 wins handily in both volume and low end. I would take an LM2 over a Shuttle 6 in a heartbeat, but would take a Shuttle 9 over both.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021