Shuttlelinermax 18.2 !! Genz Benz Shuttlemax and Streamliner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    So I have both the Genz Benz Streamliner 900 & Shuttlemax 9.2... love em both!

Heres Ed Friedlands famous videos to compare the 2!
    Genz Benz Streamliner 900 - YouTube

Start the video at 1:55 to hear the differences for yourself!

WHAT is a Shuttlelinermax 18.2 ? Its combining BOTH amps to get the full 1800w @ 4 ohms.

HOW? These amps both have a preamp out & poweramp in. The awesome benefit is that you can use JUST the poweramp of the 900 or 9.2! Doing this you are bypassing the preamp\EQ of the amp and using any preamp of your choice! Pretty cool!

So I plug my bass into the 9.2 shuttlemax, I hook up 1 large cab to the 9.2. I then have a patch cable from the preamp out of the 9.2 into the poweramp in of the Streamliner 900. I then hookup another cab to the Streamliner. All of the EQ is now controlled by the Shuttlemax. The master volume of the 9.2 & 900 control their respective cabs. ONLY the master volume of the Streamliner is "in play"

You are now have both 900w amps working ! :bassist:
    You could push two huge 4 ohm cabs, four 8 ohm cabs !! :D No signal lag. Follow the same ohms restrictions for each amp of course, 4 ohm minimum per amp !

Heres what I do... because my Epifani cabs are 5.3 ohms I CANNOT run both cabs with 1 amp same deal if these cabs were both 4 ohms! In order to run both I MUST use the Shuttlelinermax 18.2 ! The 2 GK cabs are 8 ohms & I can run those using 1 amp. Obviously I cannot run all these 4 cabs at the same time.

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

So there you have it people! You can push some SERIOUS air if you have both amps. What a great feature to have.

ANOTHER benefit of the preamp out \ power amp in is that you can make your 9.2max or 900 any amp you want. Sometimes when I have just my Streamliner around but I want a different tone, I'll plug in that Sansamp pedal into the poweramp in & have a 900 watt solid state Tech 21. As long as your preamp\pedal "delivers at least +4dBm unbalanced and probably +8dBm to be sure you have adequate drive throughout the filters to leave some margin for make-up gain" - Agedhorse. Great feature for those that want a different tone out of their amps at different times without having to buy a whole new amp!

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    ^ but couldn't you hook up one GK and one EPI to each amp?

ok. no. sorry.

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I could do 2 GKs in 1 amp & 1 Epi in the other. Be weird though, Id rather run both Epis

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Just for giggles, I tried the same thing using my Shuttle 9.0 and Streamliner 900 hooked up to four GS112s stacked vertically. Realistically overkill for anything I am likely to do, but it is nice to know that the capability to do so is built into these great little amps.

Kim

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    4 112s... the beauty is that you CAN do it! :bassist:

I personally can have a gig or 2 when the 310 isn't enough so having this flexibility to build the 610 is really really clutch

6. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Since those amps will put out closer to 750w into a 5.3 ohm load that should be ideal for those Epi 310's. Looks like a 1500 watt 610 stack. Smokin! I'll bet that sounds great. :bassist:

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Absolutely ! Since I already had the Streamliner, I was inbetween the 12.2max & 9.2max

I didnt want to just run 600w @ 4 ohms x 2 into the 2 750w 5.3 ohms cabs. Then my stack would have been closer to 1000 watts considering the ohms? vs getting the full 1800w with the Shuttlelinermax 18.2. I had the volume up to about 2 O'clock on both amps so those cabs can take that heat.

I just have a bizarre set up with those 5.3 ohm cabs

And yes they sound fantastic :bassist:

8. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    So sweet! You could feed 4 über 115s or 4 über quads or 2 quads and 2 115s! Maximum air moving! So awesome with under 15 pounds of amp!! Pacemakers beware!

9. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    9.2 max settings

ry%3D400.jpg

Whats awesome is that you can go between both channels... then use the fun tone shapers on top

I clearly prefer the Epifanis with the Shuttlemax 9.2... those cabs are very warm & big in the low end & I need the sizzle of the 9.2 to counteract it. The FET channel of the 9.2 max is fantastic with the Epis as my settings are. The scooped nature of the Epifanis also need some more grit in the mids the 9.2 has

Now its the opposite with the GK NEOs which are tighter, grindier cabs that allow the Streamliner more flexibility. I can boost the lows more here & not be muddy. I do need to cut back on the upper mids, this GK cabs are really powerful there. I still like the 9.2max with the GKs too

If forced to choose one, Streamliner vs Shuttlemax 9.2 it would be the 9.2 everyday. The versatility, 2 EQ channels to footswitch between (Really 3 channels considering the mix which is radically different). The tone shapers are are a blast. Footswitch mute I really love. Being in a cover band having to get an extremely wide range of tones, the 9.2max is the best amp out there IMO. The Streamliner works great for my church setting that needs warm, tube, not in your face, sit in the pocket tone.

10. This would be my very first post on either the SMAX 12.0 and Berg AE2x12.. I find this to be possibly the best and most versatile amp I have ever owned.
    I got the SM 12.0 about 6 mos ago an the AE about 4. I haven't wanted to say anything till the honeymoon was over but....it hasn't ended. !!! haha
    To be fair I have had an issue with each but have not mentioned either one on line before as each were dealt with in an EXTREAMLY timely and professional manner by each Manf. Pushing 60 I am looking for the last (yea right) lightest and best gear I can get my hands on and I think I'm getting close. If anyone has some (unobtainium) AE 112s or AE 210s PM please. I am just super happy with this purchase and the AE, moreso than anything since the Glock.
    I love the 2 channels and honestly I am a plug and play type but the range of versatility is quite impressing. I honestly haven't even begun to explore all the possibilities yet. I haven't used the pedal much either. I do find most tone settings usually end up somewhere between 10 and 2. I sometimes in different rooms use most often bass and treble boost buttons. then adjust from the bass. My main three in rotation at the moment are a (supposedly) 62' P-bass body/ Jazz neck in Shell pink and gold refurb I dropped an Audere Pre into along with SD ..I forget which one it was. It was supposed to have a Delano but I got impatient waiting for that and so the SD.
    The Audere 4 band is hands the most versatile Pre I have ever used. The other bass's in rotation (I often take 3 ) sick i know, are an Elrick Gold series and a MIJ P-bass Lyte w/ a Fodera 3 band pre and Barts. ( My "my back hurts" bass).
    The amp is stellar with all three and I just watched the Ed F. video again on youtube and realize I need to experiment a lot more with it. LOL
    I think this one will be around for a long time. My last most favorite amp that I used for over 10 yrs was a Glockenklang Soul (II I believe). I had an issue with that after 5-6 yrs and It got an upgrade. I still don't really feel qualified to comment on it (SM) with any real authority except to say I can get more different tones easily than I ever could with a rack full of stuff.
    I did want to say that last summer I did a couple of gigs where I used the AE 212 and a pair of Aggie 112's for the FULL effect and it was great sounding despite the totally different speakers, just crushing. Actualy better than the AE212/ Schroeder410 together.

anyway just still diggin it the MOST!!

peace Kirk

11. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Good review, I agree with it all

NOW, you can do the same thing with your amp BUT you'll be about to push 3 large 4 ohm cabs, hell a 12x10 since the 12.0 can push 2 ohms & a 900\9.2 could push 4 ohms

That would be pretty wild!

12. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    The more I play the 2 stacks...

The harder it is to decide which one I like more.

Super simple rig GK NEOs with Streamliner or Epifanis with 9.2max

Both are great. I think the Epifanis sound better when really pushed though. I gotta run more tests but big gigs will get the Epi stack but I really want a reason to use both GK NEOs. At church I run 1 GK NEO 115 with my master volume on 9, as in barely on & it fills the place. Church is big too

I ran the 9.2 max through the GK NEO stack & I really like that too. The 9.2max can sound damn good with any cab, its a can't lose amp. The Streamliner still didn't sound great with my Epifani, I had to really cut the bass to 9 o'clock to get some clarity.

I'm dying to give the GK NEO stack a whirl in a rock setting with the 9.2max or the Streamliner. I've only used em at church !! I'll report back & see what the guitarist says

He really loves my Epi 9.2max combo though, says the tone is awesome on every song, hes sick of all Ampeg ! ha ha ha

13. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    My only wish list thing from Genz would be a WEDGE speaker cab to use as a monitor!!

14. I'd ask for a 1U 900 watt companion amp with 3DPM so I could build a similar setup to Tunaman's with my Shuttle 9.2 or Shuttle Max 9.2 without the need for both amps.

Hey... wait a minute... 11 lbs for my 9.2 Max and Shuttle together = 1800 Watts through 2 GS 412s, 4 Uber 1288s (still can't make my mind up about that one Kirk, but think I'll make the jump and see how it goes), 4 uber 115s or ...???? Man... I'm starting to get delirious!!! :bassist:

15. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Wowo. could you imagine 4 Uber 115s and SM12.2 ? Who would need a PA... lol

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021