1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ShuttleMAX 6.0 for versatility?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spoonology, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Spoonology

Spoonology

Mar 7, 2009
    Now that I have a viable income I am looking into buying a new amp, I want something versatile and so far I am gravitating towards the ShuttleMAX 6.0 what with all its tube/FET options and multiple channels and what not. Is it as versatile as it looks? Are there any areas where it's not so good/amazing and also, are there any cheaper alternatives?

Cheers

2. It's a good option IMO, and the tube and SS channels sound quite different. The EQ is great, as is the power and weight (although it is the size of a more traditional full size head).

You might also consider the TC RH450. I just picked one up. Smaller than the Max 6, but a touch heavier. It takes a different approach to versatility. Instead of having a physical knob for everything, it has storable presents. There are a LOT of sounds in there, from snarling, distorted tube emulation, to 'clean tube amp' emulation, to standard 'warm but clean' solid state.

The volume output seems at least the same as the Max 6, and it has a great tuner on board, and the best on-board compressor I've experienced. So, again, even though it looks like it has a single channel, it actually has three channels that can be programmed any way you want. I usually hate this type of fancy stuff, but the cool thing is, once you get it set, changing the sound of the amp is as simple as pushing a button.

The Max 6 is cool though, and much superior IMO to the original Shuttle, both in EQ and in perceived volume and even tone. At this point, though, if I was looking for the ability to use my amp to change tone 'on the go', I prefer the RH450, which is voiced inherently fatter and warmer.

Bang for the buck.... the Max 6 IMO, which is $100 less than the RH450, and actually $200 less if you buy the foot controller for the RH450.

3. Our bassist uses the Shuttle Max 6.0 attached to a GB 2X10. There may be cheaper alternatives but I do recommend checking it out based on what I hear each week.

4. Spoonology

Spoonology

Mar 7, 2009
    Good info there, thanks. I have looked at the 450 and it didn't really do anything for me, personally I prefer being able to see all the parameters infront of me like on the MAX 6.

Are there any cabs you think it sounds specifically good with? Preferably cheaper ones ;)

5. It is a different approach, and I agree, there is something cool about having all those controls physically on the amp (even though it results in a zillion knobs). The advantage to the RH450 approach is that the settings are all documented by lighted rings around all the controls, so you can easily see where you are with each of the presets on stage. But +1, many would have a preference for the more analog physical 'one knob for every function' layout versus the more digital oriented multiple use design (for lack of better terms).

The Max 6 has enough tone control power that virtually any good quality 4ohm 212, 2 x 112 or 410 would sound pretty good. You might keep your eye out for a used Genz Uber cab, or a used NeoX212.

6. Spoonology

Spoonology

Mar 7, 2009
    I'm an analog man, Digital schigital!

7. You will be in heaven with the Max 6 then!

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Oyyy....

jpicsfnDvwTZ5Dvv7zY4.

9. Spoonology

Spoonology

Mar 7, 2009
    Am I being facepalmed because I prefer analog? If so:

double-facepalm.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    No, you were facepalmed because your post looks like a troll.

11. Nah, he was just stating his preference for a more 'one knob per each function' layout, which IMO is reasonable.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Well there ya go, that explains it.

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    There is the Classic 450 as well. You can't change the frequency centers of the EQ, but IMO with the way this amp is voiced there is very little need to for most players I would guess. You'd have a very traditional looking front panel, and you could still dial in as much clean/tube/overdrive as you wanted, plus an excellent onboard compressor with a nice LED reduction meter similar to a dbx.

It all depends on where you want to start though. If you want a clean, glassy top end with very clear articulation in the upper mids, then the Genz Benz is that without a doubt. If you prefer to start from a warmer, rounder tone with more of a retro "bark", then the TC Electronic heads are it.

Here's the Classic 450.
    [​IMG]

14. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Versatility is the main reason I'll be picking up my Max12.0 tonight. I've just been knocked out by this amp and, in particular, blending those two pre channels. All of my basses (and cabs) just seem to sound great through this thing. Depending on how much output you're after, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Max6.0. Good luck with your decision.

15. brandtb

brandtb Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I've got a ShuttleMax 6.0 and have been very happy with it so far. It's paired up with a GB Live Series LS-410T -- which is actually an 8-ohm cabinet. That means I'm getting 375 watts, but so far I haven't had to get my master volume beyond 10:30 in a practice session...Daddy's got headroom!

I really do like the tonal options and as KJung said (and I confirm), the channels have their own voice. I also like to occasionally blend them. I keep the tube channel with the slightest bit of overdrive and the FET channel clean -- both sound great and have allowed me to find the sounds I want for a variety of songs from contemporary to the 70's.

So, get thee to thy dealer and buyest thyself this head! ;-) Just my recommendation...Enjoy!