1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shuttlemax 6.0 vs. 12.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmasta117, May 12, 2010.

1. So I'm looking to buy an amp, and the shuttle max amps have everything i want. I'm just wondering if the cool feature of being able to blend and choose the channels and stuff, and the extra wattage is worth the extra 200 some odd dollars.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you think you can do something with it, it is.

3. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have the shuttlemax 12.0 and it is nice to be able to set-up two channels for 2 different basses. Depends on what you are using for cabs as far as the wattage. I have the Uber 212 and 410 cabs which are 4 ohms so I need the 12.0 to use with both cabs.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    If you want uncompromised versatility, then go with the ShuttleMAX 12.0 it's well worth the extra $200.00 IMO

TD

5. Just to clarify, the Shuttle Max 6 and 12 have identical preamps and features. The only difference is that the 12 has an extra power amp (non bridgable). So, if you use one cab, or two 8ohm cabs, the Shuttle Max 6 is the thing. If you use two 4ohm cabs, the 12 will Thunder. There would be no reason whatsoever to choose the 12 over the 6 if you use a single cab when you gig.

If you have the money, and use two 8ohm cabs, using the 12 at 8ohms per side will give you a bit more power than running the 6 at 4ohms (roughly 375 watts into each cab versus 300), but that wouldn't be a huge deal if you were on a strict budget.

If you are comparing the Shuttle 6 to the Shuttle Max 6, I find the Max 6 far superior... louder, fuller low end, MUCH better EQ (included variable voicing filters)... well worth the extra size (especially given the Max 6 is still 'micro lightweight').

K

6. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    ... and the 12 gives you a built in spare for a couple of hundred bucks!!

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Seeing that you're in Peterborough, if you want to take a drive to Barrie, you're welcome to hear what thunder sounds like!

You can play through my ShuttleMAX 12.0 and two 4 ohm GB410T-XB3 cabs.

PM me if interested.

TD

8. first of all thanks for all the replies. To clarify, To go with the amp i'm looking at getting an avatar 4x10 neo 8 ohm, and avatar neo 2x10 8ohm. I play in a loud rock/metal band, so I would use both for that, but i'm also in a few concert and jazz type bands, where i would just bring the 2x10.

Also I'd like to have the sort of Bi-amping sound with the extra power amp, but not all the time. I'd mostly like to be able to have the FET channel for regular playing, and then the tube pre channel for some grit and boost when I solo and such.

I'm still undecided to which one right now.

9. If I remember correctly, there is no balance control nor 'biamp' (meaning a separate signal to each cab, crossed over) with the Shuttle 12. So, in your situation, the 12 and 6 would sound almost identical. Again, since the 12 would have two amps running at 8ohms, putting about 375 watts into each of your two cabs, it would be a touch louder than the Max 6 running at 4ohms, putting out about 300 watts or so into each cab.... not a lot of difference.

There is no problem running only one side of the 12 when you are only using one cab, and in that case, the performance of the 6 and 12 are literally identical.

The only issue with using an 8ohm 210 and an 8ohm 410 is that the two 10's in the smaller cab will get double the wattage versus each of the 4 drivers in the 410. That isn't a 'disaster', but you will tend to push the 210 hard as you turn up, while the 410 will still be idling. If the 12 had a balance control, it would be no problem at all. You would have the same issue with the 6, which would also put equal power into each cab, hence double the power to each driver in the 210 cab versus the 410. No way around it.

Optimally, you would want to get a 4ohm 410 and an 8ohm 210 and use the Shuttle Max 12, which would then put double the output into your 410, and about the same power into each of the 6 drivers... given you a modular 610:bassist:

10. so With that 4ohm 4x10 and 8ohm 2x10 combination, running through one of the power amps, I would be able to just switch between FET and tube at will, not combining them?

11. Two separate issues.

It gets a bit confusing. Here's the deal.... you need to keep the concept of 'two preamp channels' separate from the 'single or dual power amp' concept.

The two preamp channels of the Max 6 and Max 12 work literally identically... you can mix them, switch them, use one or the other, etc, etc. However you set those dual preamps, the single power amp of the 6, or the dual power amps of the 12 will amplify the exact same thing.

I think you are confusing two power amps in the 12 with 'stereo'. There are very few true stereo bass amps... the only two I can think of are the Walter Woods Stereo amp, and the TecAmp Bonafide. A 'stereo' bass amp would allow you to, for example, feed the tube channel through the 210, and the FET channel through the 410 (not sure why you would want to do that, but you could:)).

So, again, the functionality of the Max 6 and Max 12 are identical... the only difference between the two is that the 12 has two power amps, resulting in it being able to put more power into two cabs. If you only use one cab, the 12 and 6 are literally identical.... you would be using only one of the power amps fo the 12, which functionally makes it a 6:D Again, the functionality of the two preamp channels is literally identical between the two amps, and using one or two cabs makes no difference.

So, again, keep the functionality of the preamps separate from the power amps. Mixing two preamps or switching from one to the other is not impacted at all by one versus two power amps.

Here's one more way to think about it. The Max 12 is conceptually identical to the Max 6 with a line out to a second power, identical power amp.

12. Ok thanks for clearing that up. I am gonna go with the 12.0, If I can ever find one :crying: the nearest store that sells them in stock as far as I can tell is cleveland, about a 9 hour drive.

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I suggest that you re-read my posting (#7) above.

TD