1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ShuttleMax 9.2 Tube Channel Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YL_Bass, Jan 17, 2017.

1. YL_Bass

YL_Bass

Dec 3, 2009
    Langley, BC
    Anyone had this issue? Would love some help troubleshooting.

• Essentially my tube channel will randomly cut out or drop in volume massively (get a weird thin tinny sound).
    • Switching to the FET channel fixes this problem most of the time.
    • Occasionally the whole thing cuts out and won't work for several minutes, restarting it sometimes helps.
    • signal light is still going most of the time but no sound.
    • Tried plugging the bass into the effects loop and sometimes it works there when it cuts out and other times it doesn't.
    • The master volume is pretty poppy when turned.

This all happens several times a practice (like once every 10-15 minutes). Tried a few different wall plugs thinking it might be a voltage thing. Anything else I can test or suggestions?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Assuming is does not do this on the FET channel:

Try plugging a short shielded cable between the effects send and return jacks on the tube channel effects loop. If the problem goes away, I would probably be an intermittent effects loop return jack's internal routing switch.

3. YL_Bass

YL_Bass

Dec 3, 2009
    Langley, BC
    Awesome, will try it out and let you konw.

agedhorse likes this.
  4. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thread revival. Maybe others are in the same boat. For me it's not the insert thing...

I've gotten a professionally foamed out Pelican case to carry my board, cables, and my Shuttlemax 9.2 to gigs. A lot of flying. I've literally had the tube pop out of the holder when arriving at the venue--just enough to render the tube side inoperable. (Thanks to all baggage handlers out there. How many fragile stickers are enough?)

Has anyone had any similar problems and how did you solve it? I'm obviously hoping @agedhorse will pop by, but thought others may benefit from the discussion/prescription.

I'm late to the party on this amp, having just picked it up last year, and it's the perfect solution for my doubling gig. It's a great piece of kit. My upright sounds great and natural, and the grind I get on a Gibson Midtown strung BEAD by turning up the pre on the tube side always garners some great compliments.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    With rough handling, it's possible a tube can come loose but I get amps shipped to me a lot and it's rare even with the shipping services.

6. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    Is there any way to prevent it, or make it less likely?

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Don't drop it?

With the socket in good condition they are quite well supported. If there has been much tube rolling, especially tubes have been installed with bent pins, or spray with lubricant has been used on the tube, then that could be a contributing factor.

8. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    I’ll write that on the case in block letters. Hopefully the baggage handlers will take heed. ;)

I’ll inspect the pins when I open it up again. I’ve never done anything to the amp myself, but I bought it used.

My Chadwick is kinda the same too, however. The neck spring is popped and the interior of the cavity is in disarray when I open it up. I swear they’re trying to break stuff.

Thanks for your time Andy. Always appreciated.

agedhorse likes this.
  9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Could the tube be worn out?

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Generally, worn out tubes don't often "jump ship" (literally).

ihixulu likes this.
  11. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    Maybe it doesn’t like my playing?

BassmanPaul and agedhorse like this.
  12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)