1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SIB Fatdrive vs DHA VT1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gab124, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I would really love if anyone could give me some opinions for the comparison between this two tube units. I do not want much overdrive, but really looking for the warming smoothing effect before my solid state amp.
    Hope to hear some user experiences. :)

2. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    I have used the Fatdrive for this exact purpose. the FAtdrive doesn't get into overdrive territory mode, but does have the ability to fatten up and smooth out your tone. At extreme settings it can have a subtle compression affect. I also like it in front of average D.I. boxes when recording other bands.

3. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  4. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Hey
    I don't have the best ears to make comparisons and I've used few pedals, but I've owned both these boxes...sort of.

The SIB I owned seemed to fatten things up some, but even at low settings it sounded too 'edgy/grindy' for my taste. I didn't keep it long.

As for the DHA. I actually own the VT1-MK3; which is the VT1 with extras. So, not counting the "extras", this DHA fattens, warms and softens that which comes out of my SS amp (do not confuse this with an all tube signal from bass to cab though). Crank it and you'll certainly get a good amount of OD, but it's still got soft edges. I'm still diggin' it!

Hope this helps.